MG-Rover.org Forums banner
781 - 800 of 818 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #781 ·
I ought to call this Post: The Lifes and Loves of a She Devil.

Just over a week ago. I order some car soap from Halfords on a Click and Collect basis. As pernormal. I would be informed of the reddyness to collect by Text. Now. I've already mentioned that I don't have a mobile phone, so I use the phone in the Jag. Moving on....

Once every so often. I'd pop outside to see if I had the Text. Nothing. Today. I went out to get things done. At one place, I had to wait in the Jag, so I checked the Texts. There it was. It was actually sent days ago! When I got home. I grabbed a pen and paper, so I could write down the Collection Number. Then I went back out to the Jag.

No Text! Even worse. No connection! (Lapse dissolve because of some cursing!). For some unknown reason, I opened the top of the armrest where the handset resides (I was using the touchscreeen beforehand). On the screen was "Check Card". I pulled out the SIM and pushed it back in again. The handset found the SIM and connected to the network. I went back to the touchscreen. Still no Texts. I could make phone calls, but that's it.

Once again, I pulled out the SIM. This time, I gave it a lick (Old trick. It works for a lot of stuff) and pushed it back in again. Bingo! This time. I read the Text on the handset, instead of the touchscreen. I wrote down the Order Number and replaced the handset in the armrest. When I went to rest the touchscreen to the Menu option. There was the Text. Typical!

I have to mention that Jags like this do tend to 'act up' when the battery is getting low. Time for a charge I think.

Oh. I did get the soap and the Jag has been washed!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #782 ·
It's been a while, but the yearly routine of keeping the Jag in fine fettle has begun.

The Jag is currently sat in the Garage having some work done. On last years MOT. It was picked up (As Advisories) for corroded rear springs and a suspension arm. I'm not having that, so I'm having them replaced!

Another annoyance is being fixed. Ever since I had the Jag. There's always been a wet patch under the car after use. I always thought it was the air-con condenser. It wasn't. The Jag has used a total of 3 litres of anti-freeze over the years that I've had it. That's roughly a litre a year. Anyhoo. It turned out it was the thermostat housing. That's being replaced as well.

Fingers crossed. I'll get the Jag back tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Thermostat housing: great classic as well in a 75 V6 !

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #784 ·
I've got my Jag back for the weekend. The rear springs and suspension arm have been replaced. They couldn't sort out the thermostat housing and they couldn't get the seal in time. So the Jag is going back on Tuesday to get finished off.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #785 ·
I've finally got the Jag back (a day late). I could've had it back last night, but I didn't want to wait around. Moving on....

Everything has been fixed. There was a side note though. It may be nothing. It may need looking at later. There was evidence of dried anti freeze at the bottom of the water pump. The gasket could be on the way out. However. It's more likely that the leak from the thermostat housing had reached the water pump and dried there. The residue has been cleaned off. Since I'll be going back in about a months time for an air-con regass. We'll see what the situation is then.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #786 ·
Unbelievable. I'm gobsmacked! The Jag failed its MOT for (In my opinion) the stupidest of reasons. It failed for a headlight adjuster!

On the inside of the cabin, on the light switch cluster. There's a knob to adjust the height of the headlight aim. One headlight doesn't move.

Now. This is one feature that I've never used. I don't have a tow bar. So I don't actually have a use for the feature. Even worse. The actual adjuster is part of the headlight. You have to replace the headlight itself! Madness!

There was a bit of a wink, wink moment. I was suggested that I remove the knob on the light switch. They can't test it, if it isn't fitted (wink wink). Somehow. It's going to be more aggro finding a light switch cluster for a poverty spec Jag, then it is getting a new headlight. I've opted for a new headlight.

It's only money.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #788 ·
Finding an actual light switch cluster isn't that much of a problem per-se. It's finding one that's the right colour and has everything I have, with the exception of the height adjuster. Most of these switches are silver in colour. Mine is black. I also have auto-lights and the trip computer. Suffice to say. I have the highest spec light switch. Finding the highest spec light switch that doesn't have the level switch in the right colour, could well take longer than getting a new headlight fitted.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #789 ·
I've got the Jag back and it's got a spanky new MOT. Hoorah!

Have you ever seem anyone who was wearing glasses with one lens fogged? That's what my Jag headlights looks like now. The new passenger side has a brand new headlight in it, while the drivers side looks 20 years old (A bit foggy). It makes the car look kinda lop sided.

I won't be doing much more to the Jag this year, as the yearly allowance has been used up. Having said that. I've had a letter from the Inland Revenue, telling me I'm getting a big fat Tax rebate (A salary sacrifice pension scheme got me under the Tax threshold). So, an air-con recharge and a pair of rear tyres are in the offing before the end of the year.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #791 ·
I had to do the normal Wednesday beer run (Avoiding crowded supermarkets). As I was low on petrol. I stopped in to get some some petrol. To my surprise. The were selling E10 petrol. Apparently. E10 petrol wasn't being brought in until September. Thankfully. I had already done my homework. Jaguars had been making E10 compatible cars since the 1990's.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #792 ·
Just thought I'd drop a note saying: If all goes to plan. The November 30mpg challenge will be back! This year. It's going to be really interesting. I'll be using E10 petrol!

In 2019. I managed 30.1mpg. In 2018. It was 30.4mpg.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
How does that work? Same journey?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #795 ·
This is just a mini update.

I've been using E10 for over a month now. I have kept an eye on fuel consumption. At this time. I'm getting .2 MPG less with E10. In theory. Getting 30MPG with E10 is still possible. Now. I do have to point out a couple of things:

My 2.1Ltr Jag is supposed to do 25MPG on the extra-urban circuit. I'm aiming for 30MPG.

When I got 30.4MPG. It was dry and fine weather on both legs of the journey. The roads were clear and the climate control was on for both legs. When I got 30.1MPG. It rained on the way home, so the lights were on and the wipers were used. There was also a traffic jam on the final mile, so I had to switch off the climate control.

November the 5th is the date of the outward journey and November the 8th is the return. I'm still experimenting in fuel saving, but I'm having little success. I just can't shake the .2MPG difference.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Have we chosen a V6 for fuel economy? Neither of us...
Is E10 more expensive than E5? Likely not. And there are other parameters such as those you're precisely pointing to and many others: C/C, temperature, hygrometry, difference in level, wind, traffic, tyre pressure, you name it and - don't be fooled! - the driver's foot! 😜
How amazing: I have just been intending to make a post about my 75 fuel consumption! 😃

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #797 ·
Personally. I think that other traffic has a greater influence on MPG than your right foot. Hear me out on this one.

Last night, I went out fairly late. I had the road to myself. Still trying to conserve fuel. I traveled at 30MPH. Even though I had the lights and climate control on. I managed to claw back .1MPG.

I've just been out on the same road, but there was other traffic. In order to maintain the flow. I traveled at 50MPH. I'm now back to .2MPG less on E10.

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
6,030 Posts
The decimal numbers you are talking about are pretty negligible. Engine temp, air temp, wind direction, whether you are in a slipstream, instrumentation error etc. could all effect them. I’d just round down to the nearest whole number and judge over a period.

Looking at it another way, you didn’t buy a V6 for fuel economy! ;)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #799 ·
There's a saying within the Aprilia RS fraternity. If you have to ask about the MPG, then you can't afford to run one. My X-Type returns MPG that's very close to what the Manual says. At this time. The much vaunted E10 rise in consumption is working out to be true.

The 30MPG challenge is just a bit of fun. I only do it on one route and that's once or twice a year. I'm just curious to see if I can get 30MPG with E10 fuel.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #800 ·
The 5th of November approaches. Things are not looking good. I've been keeping an eye on the weather. I'm hoping for dry, fine weather for the E10 30MPG challenge. At this time. The weather is predicted to be dull and rainy. This means: Lights on and windscreen wipers used. As we all know. The field coils in the alternator will get energized and more fuel will get used. It's on a knife edge folks!

781 - 800 of 818 Posts