MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always liked the Rover 75. It looked great and the interior was sublime. But the poor front wheel drive layout and pokey little engines let it down badly. And then... WOW!! they design a proper 8 cylinder rear wheel drive monster with all the chrome and leather of the old 75 as well. As my name suggests I'm a major classic jaguar enthusiast. The modern american jaguars have been badly disappointing for a while now. After all who wants a ford mondeo with a jaguar X-type badge on it anyway? Its still a crappy ford. I'm thinking that this realisticly priced 75 V8 should really worry jaguar. If only Rover had enough time to try it. Rover should forget about building cheap high volume cars for the masses. Theres no way they can realisticly compete with the fords and vauxhalls of this world. There's huge over production in that market. Keep the MGF style sports cars and start jaguar bashing with the 75 V8. I've waited a long time for a car like the 75V8 to be built, please give them more time, a year will do, this car's a winner!

·
Registered
882 Posts
I actually think the RWD 75 platform with a Jag V8 up front would be unstoppable. It would certainly blow the X-type out of the water.
Right now I'd be happy for Ford to assimilate the 75/ZT, they've invested heavily in the British industry, and seem to have had a good working relationship with MGR.
Rebuilding the MG marque, the RWD cars (including SV) are the only tangible progress that MGR have made since 2000, but they all have a value.

·
Registered
942 Posts
While I do agree with what is said here, Ford are alarminly close to brankrupt, which is hmm, no good!

If that happens then Aston and Jaguar are going down the plug with them :(.

·
Registered
882 Posts
If Ford could nurture the large car platform, and then they went bust, it would be an opportunity for British investors to buy back a more competitive product a few years down the line. Ford have done a fantastic service to the UK by sticking with Jaguar, Aston Martin and Land Rover through thick and thin.

Aston Martin looks unstoppable right now, and Land Rover has very desirable (if environmentally unethical) product. Jaguar has the problems, because its range isn't desirable enough to offset the effect of exchange rate on US sales. The new Jaguar sports car should solve that.

The RWD 75/ZT is a far superior platform to the X-type, and could fly out of (Ford PAG) US showrooms. It has character, and room for a V8, both things the Americans are suckers for, and compared to Jaguars its good value.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts