MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it look like that the pressed steel used in both Chinese factories where the ZS is made is low grade stuff for the engine bay related brackets

Looks like I'll need to go and get out the Rust remedy and some Hammerite black paint this summer.

Thankfully I had the underside treated with Dinatrol rust preventer when I first got the car as it looks like not if you'll find rust but when.

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The car was first registered in May 2018 so is not even 2 years old.

The outer panels such the door skin seem to be holding up as I have a 1/2 mm stone chip on the rear off-side passenger door which has a exposed the shiny metal underneath beyond the primer but has so far shown no signs of rust.

Cheers..

·
Registered
other_mg
42 Posts
Well, I am glad I have seen the back of mine. My new Kia is a lot quieter place to be in, and after 5 days now, it is lovely not to have the MG ZS scs/eps warning lights coming on every day, regardless of what the dealer tries to do.
Good bye to it, and good riddance.
mine was a 2017 registered car so a very early one, but was not willing to risk another.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I've just got off the phone with my MG dealer and this is what they had to say on the subject after them speaking to MG Motor UK on my behalf:

First sight and secondary panels are treated differently therefore the rust perforation warranty will differ.

The surface rust seen in my pictures is not covered under warranty but if the same metal beam becomes perforated through no fault of the owner then it will be repaired.

The MG dealer has confirmed that any repair that I make using rust remedy to the surface rust will not affect any warranty claims in the future. I hope that this helps. I must say that I am disappointed that a less than 2 year old car has rust but am not surprised of MG Motor UK's response.

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that I know that MG Motor UK have no interest in fixing the rust issue on the black painted metal brackets in the engine bay of my ZS SUV, I decided to use some Rust remedy to paint the leading edges of the metal and see if I can keep the tin worm at bay.

It is interesting that the bonnet catch has some paint chipped off but no rust is present.

It seems like that instead of using good quality metal all around, they have gone for a mixture of decent and not-so decent.

It reminds me of the screws that were supplied with the MG supplied mud flaps, i.e. the original black screws on the bodywork are still in non-rusty condition but the black screws used for securing the mud flaps have a serious rust issue.

I also bought some black anti-rust spray paint from Lidl to give the bracket a new top coat.

To be honest, I would have had no problem with SAIC charging me a bit more for using better quality steel and more substantial paint and underseal as I have already spent over £500 alone on having the underbody of the vehicle sprayed with Dinitrol in order to help with the underbody protection or lack of.

I had used this company and went for the Extreme:

Cheers..

·
Registered
5,292 Posts

Cheers..
[/QUOTE]

They look thorough. Where are they based?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Cheers..
They look thorough. Where are they based?
[/QUOTE]
When I had my car done in 2018 they were based in Hoddeston.

This is their new location:

CSK Automotive
Unit 11,
The Firs,
Watermill Ind Est,
Buntingford,
SG9 9JS

If it is good enough for Land Rover owners...

Cheers..

·
Registered
1 Posts
So it look like that the pressed steel used in both Chinese factories where the ZS is made is low grade stuff for the engine bay related brackets

View attachment 134790
View attachment 134791
View attachment 134792
View attachment 134793
View attachment 134794
View attachment 134795
View attachment 134796
View attachment 134797
View attachment 134798

Looks like I'll need to go and get out the Rust remedy and some Hammerite black paint this summer.

Thankfully I had the underside treated with Dinatrol rust preventer when I first got the car as it looks like not if you'll find rust but when.

Cheers..

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,804 Posts
Just looks like normal black painted metal rust that all cars get, guessing the ZS is worse than others?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some other MG ZS owners had noticed rust on the outer panels within a year so the steel used in China is definitely not prepped up to the expected standard.

Cheers..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, I tried to find a good un for years. Must have looked at a dozen; but all were rotting sills, around windows, underneath etc. Never got an Alpha Sud. :cautious:
Alfa Sud. I had one, it was X reg. at 3 years old it needed new inner wings!
Welding a 3 year old car...
It was a great car to drive though, sure wish I still had it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts