MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
12,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above and probably from one lot of misery to the next knowing my luck.

I wanted to see how the 6 is compared to my 3 so took the plunge whilst there are some low mileage ones still around.

This will likely be my last MG unless they make something new that can tempt me.

It's a White TS Diesel on a 16 plate so will see what this brings good or bad.

But so far I am liking it and it feels a massive step up from the 3 in a lot of ways if you account for the dated interior look.

Glutton for punishment no doubt but fingers crossed I also have 24 months warranty that should even cover wear and tear items and things like the clutch and DPF so that should help to keep any potential bills down hopefully.

First tank full on a long run down to Newquay and local running around made an average of 44mpg in the end so not that brilliant, but currently after coming back and a few shorter runs it's showing 52.3mpg at the moment but won't know until I fule up what it has actually done.

I got £2300 part ex for my 63 reg 3 Style which considering I only paid £4994 for it on Jan 17 I thought wasn't that bad.

So with the 2-year warranty added on it's cost me £4500 to upgrade to a 6 diesel that is a few years newer.

· Registered
12,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the OBC is around 5mpg optimistic it seems.

It was showing 49.5mpg on the first tankful and actual was 44mpg.

The second tankful was showing 51.3mpg and actual was 46mpg.

I reckon 50mpg or 50+ should be possible if you drive like miss daisy.

But I like the power for overtaking and accelerating away from junctions so will be reasonably happy with mid 40's, to be fair my old ZTT only averaged at best late 30's to low 40's and that didn't have a DPF.

I'm not overly concerned by MPG as I prefer to just drive rather than try and eek out every extra MPG that I can but I like to check it regularly to see if it dramatically drops at any point as overuse on fuel indicates something is wrong.

I also can't say I have noticed a regen as yet as usually when a diesel does a regen they are quite noticeable, exhaust note changes, smoke can be seen coming from the back, and usually, the smell and sometimes hesitation are all signs a DPF regen is happening.

· Registered
12,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are your thoughts on the comparison of comfort, driveability and appearance between the 3 & 6? I'm considering the 6 but may wait to see how the new models fare.
It's hard to make a fair comparison between the 2if I am honest.

One car cost £16500 ish when new and one cost £9995 when new.

They are very different cars in all honesty.

I liked the way you could chuck the 3 around the lanes being a shorter wheelbase which you can't do as much with the 6.

The 6 is a more comfortable ride than the 3 but not being a TSE with the 17" wheels I can't comment on what the car is like with the 17's on which may make the ride bumpier.

I think had I test drove a 6 at the time I probably wouldn't have bought the 3.

That's all I can really say at the moment having only had it for a week or so.

· Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,804 Posts
I'm quite happy with my Astra J, 1.7 and does 650 on a full tank so 59mpg, can't complain, 6th gear, cruise control, air con, hope the 6 works out for you, the trade is wasn't too horrific.

· Registered
12,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are your thoughts on the comparison of comfort, driveability and appearance between the 3 & 6? I'm considering the 6 but may wait to see how the new models fare.
The 6 is a far more comfortable car for me in terms of seating space and suspension.

Driveability being a diesel is better also than my 3 if I am honest, being a turbo helps and also it seems to not have some of the foibles of clutch trouble when pulling off that I felt I had experienced in all the 3's ZS and GS I have driven that all seem to really take some getting used to.

Being the face-lift they both share a similar front end design and both look decent enough to me, the 6 rear I think works way better than the 3 though, but neither are perfect.

Sent from my AGS-W09 using Tapatalk

· Registered
12,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The update to this is the 6 has gone.

The garage were unable to repair the car and wouldn't spend any more time or money trying to fix it. They would not seel the car at a price to me I was willing to pay and give me the money to spend on it.

So I now have a Skoda Rapid 1.2TSI.

Its a nice enough car if lacking a few of the creature comforts the 6 had.

Mpg wise I've averaging around 41mpg in my Skoda, so that is a little better on fuel than my 3 was and slightly lower than the 6 diesel. My 3 used to average anywhere between 35-39mpg the 6 averaged 42 to 46mpg and 41mpg so far in the Skoda.

So just a short update and comparing all 3 cars. The Skoda is much easier to drive than my 3 ever was, the 6 was lovely to drive being a diesel and the power was nice.

It is what it is and at least I tried a 6 but just wasn't prepared to go through more potential issues with the 6 after a bad start to owning one and only having it for 5 weeks and in the garage for 5 weeks.

· Registered
1,505 Posts
The update to this is the 6 has gone.

The garage were unable to repair the car and wouldn't spend any more time or money trying to fix it. They would not seel the car at a price to me I was willing to pay and give me the money to spend on it.

So I now have a Skoda Rapid 1.2TSI.

Its a nice enough car if lacking a few of the creature comforts the 6 had.

Mpg wise I've averaging around 41mpg in my Skoda, so that is a little better on fuel than my 3 was and slightly lower than the 6 diesel. My 3 used to average anywhere between 35-39mpg the 6 averaged 42 to 46mpg and 41mpg so far in the Skoda.

So just a short update and comparing all 3 cars. The Skoda is much easier to drive than my 3 ever was, the 6 was lovely to drive being a diesel and the power was nice.

It is what it is and at least I tried a 6 but just wasn't prepared to go through more potential issues with the 6 after a bad start to owning one and only having it for 5 weeks and in the garage for 5 weeks.
Hi Simcor,

You didn't have much luck with your MG purchases.

Hopefully the Skoda will give you lots of problem free miles.

Cheers..

· Registered
12,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A long while later.........

The update is the Skoda is still going well now with 110,000 miles on it. Had a few niggly issues with it but in the 2.5 years I've had it, it has cost me a lot less in repairs than my 3 did by a long shot. It does have a rattily timing belt chain sometimes when starting but goes away after 10 secs max, sometimes it can be quite noticeable and other times not do it at all. So based on it's mileage and age I'm not bothering getting it done like I did with the 3. I keep looking at 6 diesels every now and then but most are doing higher miles now sadly and are not much newer than my Skoda.
So yeah still with the Skoda for now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.