MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading up on the powertrain K series, which I believe I have in my car. Does anyone know if the 1.8 VVC is the same engine used throughout the MG range. Also can anyone help me with instructions on how to change the cylinder head. I've checked the Haynes manuals and there isn't a manual for the 1.8 vvc 160 just the 1.8. Please help.

·
Homologation Engineer
1,107 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum, I'm sure that some VVC nut will assit you further, but yes, the VVC engine has been used in the F, TF and 25 and ZR vehicles.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to change the cylinder head?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the cylinder head gasket has gone, theres a little jet of water shooting out between the head and the crankcase. But wanting to do the job myself, with some help of course, and would like a bit of help, as there is no manual for this engine.

Thanks for the reply Rincewind!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
kat said:
Well the cylinder head gasket has gone, theres a little jet of water shooting out between the head and the crankcase. But wanting to do the job myself, with some help of course, and would like a bit of help, as there is no manual for this engine.

Thanks for the reply Rincewind!
Perhaps one of the experts can help me, but i didnt think the crankcase and head met anywhere?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, then its coming out between the cylinder head and the engine block, were the gasket is in between. told you i needed help, not much of an expert with car engines!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
kat said:
well, then its coming out between the cylinder head and the engine block, were the gasket is in between. told you i needed help, not much of an expert with car engines!
Thats okay, everyone hates a smart arse anyway!
I presume that the VVC mechanism makes not a lot of difference when taking the head off as one complete unit, as it doesnt matter whats in there, whether its VVC unit or a standard set up.
Re-timing might be different, I'll stop guessing now and let someone older, wiser, and with dirtier finger nails set us straight!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well thanks alot anyway Samuel, much appreciated, lets hope someone knows more about it and can help me out!

Thanks again!

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
Timing a VVC engine is no different to timing the normal K16. I would however make plenty of checks when re-fitting the cambelt and also pay close attention to the relationship of the small timing belt at the flywheel end of the engine to the main timing.

The cylinder head bolts and gasket follow the same procedure as the K16.

It would be wise to renew the main cambelt, the cambelt kit should include a tensioner spring that is only used for initial tensioning and is removed once all the various bolts have been torqued correctly.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Good chance that the VVC mechs will have to be removed and refitted due to a head skim requirement by the sounds of the severity of the failure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much for your information technozen, that's a weight off my mind. I will be doing it on wednesday. Now that you have cleared some things up. Thank you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you as well STU, all the VVC mechs will be done and the head is getting skimmed. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
As long as the mechs are put back together properly, you are most of the way there.

Loctite the cam sprocket bolts into place whilst it is being re-assembled as this is a failure point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts