MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new here, hope I am posting in the correct place. 2004 TF won’t turn over, lights come on, battery fine, seems like an immobiliser issue. Got the round fob, battery replaced, wiring checked underneath the boot. Just looking for any help with where to check next, thank you.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
13,356 Posts
If you cannot even turn the engine then it is not immobiliser issue. If you coukd start the engine, but then engine dies after a second or two that could be immobiliser issue.
I would start with checking earth points and cleaning them as well I aoukd check and clean starrer terminals and make good contact of wires.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
290 Posts
I agree with Roverlike very often it's a bad connection from the ignition feed which is no 8 below, pull the wire off and clean up both parts, if you can check with a meter (continuity tester) that it has 12v when the key is turned to the start position. If that's all OK disconnect the battery then remove no 9 (which otherwise is live) clean, inspect and put it back together, check the earth points and reconnect the battery. If you have 12v at no 9 and 12v at no 8 with the key in start position and the starter still doesn't turn in all probability the starter/solenoid is NFG.
Font Auto part Machine Drawing Cylinder

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,114 Posts
From personal experience it is probably the wire identified in the diagram above as number 8 as suggested by deepfat, They usually corrode causing a lack of connection, get your hand down the back from the boot after pulling loose the carbon canister (the round canister on the back panel, it just lifts up to remove, no need to disconnect pipes from it as all you want is room to put your arm down) as this makes it easier to reach and give the wire a wiggle, this usually does it as it cleans off the corrosion and when you have a bit more time available give it a proper clean :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, just to confirm, the fob does not unlock the car, the key will open the car, then either the alarm/horn starts honking or you can get in the seat and turn the key, at the start point the car just sings with it’s high beeping and bonging and all the lights on the dash seem to come on.
I might be wrong but it just seems like the fob is not un-immobilising it, the engine doesn’t turn over or anything.

I will check those wires tomorrow though, thank you

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,654 Posts
It sounds more fundamental than just the immobiliser, as said if it was just the immobiliser the car would start for a few seconds. What is the voltage and state of the car battery?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Thanks everyone, just to confirm, the fob does not unlock the car, the key will open the car, then either the alarm/horn starts honking or you can get in the seat and turn the key, at the start point the car just sings with it’s high beeping and bonging and all the lights on the dash seem to come on.
I might be wrong but it just seems like the fob is not un-immobilising it, the engine doesn’t turn over or anything.
Definitely sounds like the immobiliser rather than an earth issue, This may sound like teaching you to suck eggs, but check the battery has been replaced the correct way around, I spent nearly an hour once trying to find out why a mates car wouldn't turn the immobiliser off only to find he had replaced the battery in the fob and had put it in upside down....first thing I always check these days

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Dert, thanks Chris,

Yes battery definitely in the right way, tried to pair it to the car but the only instructions I have seem to be for the square fob, not the round one (that I understand to be the pektron one) so, key in car, unlock, press unlock or lock 4 times in quick succession.
No joy.

I am really hoping there is a slightly different way with the round fob that I have not been able to find so far.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
There are not a lot of options if the pektron fob has lost sync. if you have the eka code to manually disarm the alarm through the door lock and key turns you may be able to use a Pscan unit or T4 testbook to attempt to re-sync the fob or program the car to a new fob but if you haven't got the eka code you will be unable to disarm the alarm to re-sync or program a new fob. Your easiest option if it is the Pektron unit is to see if you can get a second hand unit and ecu with a fob and swap them over, this is something I did a while back for someone who had lost the eka code, to do this it only requires removing the ecu in the boot area and taking off a foot-well light panel to get to the Pektron alarm unit...there is a little issue if the unit is held in with a security bolt but sometimes its just a 10mm bolt head. follow this link for more information Pektron SCU Faults & Information

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
13,356 Posts
Round Pektron fob does not need resync when battery is changed. It should start working straight away.
What OP described looks to me like earth is not connected as it should be as some point and definetly not like immobiliser.
Pscan or Testbook T4 cannot help in pairing process of existing fob if Pektron SCU lost sync with the fobs. If this happened I would suggest to contact Pul Brown at Technozen Electronics - Home Of Pektron SCU Repair
However, as I said, I would first start with checking earths and its connections.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts