MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i test drove a stepspeed 02 model round xmas time and couldnt get it due to not getting my own car sold.ive now got the money and its back up for sale but it has no MOT-does this sound dodgy?its got about 50k miles on it and its priced at £5k is this a good price for a car with no MOT and is it a good idea to go for it?cheers

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Not the one on eBay without an MOT? I remember seeing one on there without an MOT.

If the cars fully a-ok I can't believe why they haven't got an MOT for it, surely it'd up the price.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
A car with no MOT is technically 'Scrap Metal' as it should not be on the road.......... therefore say you will do them a favour and tow it away for £40!.:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well in nov when i test drove it he said it was for his fiance and that his circumstances changed-he got rid of his car too and he told me tonight that its got no MOT cos there wasnt much interest in nov and he garahged it until summer cos he thot there wud be more interest.he said he would take 4600 for it and im tempted!it drove fine in november.whats the most it could cost to get thru an mot cos its either the TF 1 miles away from me for 4600 or a z3 2.8 in scotland for 6500!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Is it worth spening a £150 on an AA/RAC check or arrange a price with him if it passes an MOT and suggest you take it? If it passes you'll buy the car for that price.

At the end of the day an MOT only means that it is roadworthy at the time it is tested. If he refuses I would certainly take a mechanic to view it or get it AA/RAC tested.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
costs about 300 to get an aa inspection done which seems a little steep.surely i would notice if anything major is wrong when i drove it?if i buy it and get a warranty and then put it thru the MOT and it needs new things, will the warranty covere them?

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
costs about 300 to get an aa inspection done which seems a little steep.surely i would notice if anything major is wrong when i drove it?if i buy it and get a warranty and then put it thru the MOT and it needs new things, will the warranty covere them?
An AA/RAC inspection is circa £180 and includes the HPI check..

If you wish to lay out £4.5K of your hard earned on a car with no MOT or no proof it's even roadworthy other than "Well it drives Ok!", then sorry!, but I can only see it ending in tears!.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You would need to confirm with the warranty people what it covers before taking it out.

It sounds like you are really keen on this car m8 :bgrin:

Do the panel gap check, make sure the tracking is OK, that the suspension is at the correct ride height, there is no goo on the dipstick, that all electrics work as they should, abs works ok etc.

What could be wrong? Accident damage, lamba sensors, potential HGF?

Best of luck (and I am a glass half full chap too so if I liked it I would drive a hard bargain and buy it ) but it is your decision :lol:

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
189 Posts
Difficult one to judge. There are some idiot sellers out there - like people who list cars on Ebay with no photos, or very little description. It could be a bargain, but personally I'd take his lax nature in bothering to get an MOT a warning.

Why not try and make some sort of deal to get him to have it tested - offer him £20 towards it. When you see the fail sheet you can make a judgement and a fair offer. At worst you've lost £20. If it passes, make him a decent offer, along with the other £20 MOT fee.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,185 Posts
There are plenty of TF's around that price with MOT's at the moment, I wouldn't entertain it personally.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my prob is i live in northern ireland and this one is just down the road from me for 4600 and if i cant get it its gonna cost at least 6k for one in england and then ill have plane/boat fares as well-really not sure what to do :(

·
Registered
977 Posts
Tell him you'll give him an extra 100 if he MoT's it.

If he is so sure it is going to fly through, it will be an extra 60 quid for him when it passes needing nothing!!! Why would you want to buy a car that isn't legal to be used?

I would also be wary that it has sat unused since november.....that is a long time to leave a car standing, and through the coldest time of the year as well??? Things could have gone wrong that wouldn't be picked up on an MoT, so check it over, and thouroughly! Don't just think cause it drives well it is ok, its an MG so it is going to drive very well compared to other cars even if it isn't all ok.

Barter hard, no-one else will be beating his door down to buy a car with no MoT, so take your time and be tough.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well had the decision made for me, someone test drove the TF and bought it so i guess its not meant for me!thanks for all the advice but im going for a 2.8 z3 instead!cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts