MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or are the clutch and accelerator on the TF very stiff? ive found myself nearly stalling on several occasions in the last 2 days and it is very hard to hold the car on the clutch and pull off etc. all of the 3 ive test driven have felt like this so i dont think its my car!

Ta :)

<<<--- look 111 posts!! :bigeyes: :naughty: :eek:

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
I thought that when I first changed from F to TF - seemed like on/off switch. Now, only 8000 miles later, I seem to have got the hang of it and can hill start or trickle through traffic without any problems (touching wood before trip home tonight).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank god its not me, my last 3 cars have been a dream to drive and no leg effort really required, perhaps its a good thing, should get super responsive legs soon! or in 8,000 miles lol!

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
It takes a little bit of getting used to, but as Sprinter has said, you WILL get used to it, aahhmm, no remarks about the Waterman thankyou :shake: :minxy:

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Yep another one of the TF quirks, It first had me a bit stressed but after about 3k miles i'm getting the hang of it now! YAY :lol:

Jonathan

·
Registered
mg_tf
323 Posts
It's the accelerator that's the problem on my TF. It seems to have around four 'clicks', sometimes just two: 'on' and 'off'. On those occasions I choose 'on'...

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
Frank Jukes said:
It's the accelerator that's the problem on my TF. It seems to have around four 'clicks', sometimes just two: 'on' and 'off'. On those occasions I choose 'on'...
ahhhh, ya nearly had me there Frank :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah im finding it doesnt always go into reverse straight away, i just select one of the forward gears when this happens, then it finds reverse first time!

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
i have alwasy thoguht every rover/mg clutch seems to need a bit more control over to use. i have driven many different makes of car and the only ones i stall are either rover or mg.
i still occasionally stall my tf so thats the reason why i never brought up anything about the waterman pete., becasue i know how embarassing it can feel pete. ;)

but i also like the fact that u can feel the clutch working, if u try a vauxhall astra, the clutch id pointless as i couldnt tell where the bite point was and the only movement was when i had gone past it and jumped forward. theres no timing involved, just lift the clutch up however i wanted when i had some revs to go with it.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
603 Posts
ive just got my new 160 and im experiencing the same infact i like it, it character!!!!!! cant wait till i can drive her properly in the dry of course!dont want any sideways moments!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I thought my 'F' was a little stiff on clutch and throttle, but nowhere near as bad as a Rover 200 i had, sold it in the end because i never 'got on' with it!!

<---------look! have managed to do a avatar thingy.....:shh: Now i just has to get a picy of My F in there.....

·
Registered
mg_tf
323 Posts
MG Deano said:
if u try a vauxhall astra, the clutch id pointless as i couldnt tell where the bite point was and the only movement was when i had gone past it and jumped forward. theres no timing involved, just lift the clutch up however i wanted when i had some revs to go with it.
If I've understood that... the clutch on my wife's Astra 1.8 SRi is a dream and much more pleasant to use than the one on my TF. However, I thnk we might be getting into the differences between individual cars rather than models/manufacturers.

Deano, can you fix your sig please. I've just spent ages trying to work out what the flickering on my monitor was. Even changed my glasses and was thinking of getting the local vicar in to do some kind of poltergeist elimination service thingy! Worked out that it's some kind of image (HCHDC?) that's displaying briefly in very dark colours.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Frank Jukes said:
Deano, can you fix your sig please. I've just spent ages trying to work out what the flickering on my monitor was. Even changed my glasses and was thinking of getting the local vicar in to do some kind of poltergeist elimination service thingy! Worked out that it's some kind of image (HCHDC?) that's displaying briefly in very dark colours.

Noooo its an HCHDC tradition :rotflmao:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hello! I've only ever driven an F or TF since I passed my test and am used to the on/off of it all, so I never stall as I've been well trained! However, the SO who's been driving for ever stalls Bob all the time. Ha ha ha! Practice makes perfect!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts