MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· In the Garage
MG TF
33,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The top ball joints need replacing on rear and one on front, decided to start on the rear. The workshop manual suggests taking the bottom bolt that holds the shock to the upper arm presumably to allow a bit more movement to allow the oversized 46mm socket to fit – but no, the arm and shock over the last 20 years appear to have become welded together and I can’t sperate the two. In any case the shock bush doesn’t look to in great shape. So decided to remove the long bolt holding the bolt in place only to find it fowls on the rear ARB. Can’t quite get to one of the the nuts holding the ARB to the car as the heat shield is in the way looked to drop the heat shield down slightly only to find the bolts holding it to the car are now rusty blobs…

Automotive tire Wood Tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

· Registered
6,715 Posts
I feel your pain Chris. Just keep going matey, your patience and skill will reap the rewards you seek.

Good luck.

Reactions: Chris T

· In the Garage
MG TF
33,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Success, impressed with the £14 Erbauer bolt extractor set from Screwfix – made short work of the rusty blob that was holding the heatshield.

Font Tool Gas Electric blue Bicycle part

As I pulled the shield down slightly a chunk came off, a problem for another day but at least I could get access to the ARB nuts and the long bolt was free to come out. The shock is still firmly attached so I will have to unbolt it from the top. One for another day.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

· In the Garage
MG TF
33,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Due to work and COVID getting in the way, 3 weeks later I’ve finally manged to remove the shock and arm. Unfortunately, the top nut holding the shock in place was seized sold, it could have done with heat, but it isn’t a good place for blow touch! In the end I put too much force into the Alan head that it shared off part of it. Ended up cutting into the nut then the impact wrench finally got the nut off the thread is totally ** :(. I suspect that the nut was cross threaded in the first place.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas Electrical wiring

Household hardware Coil spring Wood Gas Auto part

At least the bush in arm doesn’t seem to be in bad condition.

Wood Automotive tire Gas Household hardware Auto part

· Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
1,039 Posts
Those bolt extractor sets are a god-send, aren't they. I've used the 10mm one a lot on the F, so much so that I've worn it out and have had to buy a new set of extractor (don't seem to be able to buy individual ones).

· In the Garage
MG TF
33,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally started to refurbish the N/S rear suspension, this time completely removing the exhaust backbox and the heat shield as it is in poor condition and the mounts have seen better days and need replacing.
Automotive exterior Wood Gas Motor vehicle Bumper

However, on removing one of the nuts on the ARB mounts the stud snapped off, although the replacement platform is available it seems a shame to buy a new one when the old one is in fundamentally good shape.

Blue Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

The offending stud was ground down and punched out, the new bolt will need welding in.

Wood Gas Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Gas Auto part Machine Parking meter Electric blue

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

· Registered
6,715 Posts
Good work Chris.

Out of interest, do you know where I might be able to get a rear silencer heat shield? - I noticed that mine seems to have gone missing!

· Registered
mg_tf
216 Posts
Good work Chris.

Out of interest, do you know where I might be able to get a rear silencer heat shield? - I noticed that mine seems to have gone missing!
I got a new stainless steel one from rimmers when they had a sale on. It was still £100 a couple of years ago, which I had a very, very long think on before buying. However, it was a sturdy item and whilst many said there's no need for the shield and the flimsy silver board type shield seemed all but impossible to get, I'm glad I fitted it. Having said that, after I fitted mine I have seen a couple, of second hand board ones come up on eBay.

· Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
1,039 Posts
The heat shield that Rimmer is selling is made by Mike Satur. I've installed Mike Satur's heat shields on both of our Fs and it is a nicely made product. I did have the bend the heat shield a bit in one spot to stop it from heating the Daytona exhaust pipe on my wife's F.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts