MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post in the forum, I look forward to some happy posting in the future.

Just a question.

My TF135 started loosing coolant about 2 weeks ago (needed topping up every couple of days, got it checked out on Sat and they found water in the oil and recommended a cylinder head removal to inspect a "suspect" HGF. Cost estimation 600-700 :err:. Considering booking it in for about 4 days time and I asked the guy if it was ok to drive until then, he said yes but ensure that I kept the water topped up.

They've pressure tested the coolant system and found nothing wrong, so if their suspicion of a HGF is wrong, then what?

I am wondering if it is ok to continue driving it until it goes in.

Cheers!

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
Welcome to .org :D

I'd say, based on the positive pressure test, to replace the expansion tank cap asap, coolant loss can come from there, but monitor the level very closely, and keep an eye on the temp gauge. How old is your TF ??, is there any sign of coolant around the neck of the expansion tank ??

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,290 Posts
As a mater of interest what age and mileage is your TF?

If the oil is mixed with the coolant then definitely don’t dive it as you may be left with long-term damage to the engine let alone the extra short term damage to you bank balance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 52 with 28k on the clock.

Yeah there is coolant on the tank neck. Decided to have it checked out. Umm, suspicious...

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,290 Posts
Given the age and mileage of your car it is the “zone” for a HGF, however if the oil is clean and the there is coolant on the neck of bottle then I would go with Pete’s thought of getting a new coolant bottle cap and see what happens.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Magicfly said:
It's a 52 with 28k on the clock.

Yeah there is coolant on the tank neck. Decided to have it checked out. Umm, suspicious...
In your first post they `said` there was `water` in the oil??

If this water is `coolant` this is a sure sign of HGF....... however, it could be just condensation, how bad is the cross contamination??....... ie what does your oil look like on the dipstick??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right, perhaps I'll go get one tomorrow.

Normally I definitley notice a drop in levels after one day, and it's usually right at the bottom of the tank after about 3 days (I only do about 25 miles a day).

But trying this out, running the risk of further engine damage if it is a HGF? Hope it's just the cap then.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dipstick doesn't look like that. Oil is its usual colour.

I am just going on what the dealer said, but after that I decided to go check it out for myself, hence me posting on here.

That picture, is that extensive water in the engine, what about if it is leaking into the engine "slowly" if it were possible, Would i definitley notice a change in the oil colour, or would I have to inspect closely?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,290 Posts
The dipstick will look like the picture if the amount of coolant that you are using is going into the oil. If the oil is clean then I don’t think you have a HGF but you soon will if you don’t find where the coolant is going.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. Well my oil def does not look like that. And with the amount of water I've been putting in the tank, you're saying it should if it's been going into the engine.

Gonna go with the new cap tomorrow, and see what happens. Can that much water escape through the cap in that amount of time?

Thanks a lot for your help. I very much appreciate it!

:URGOD:

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,290 Posts
There is a pressure relief valve on the top of the cap that can fail allowing the coolant to boil.

If you find that the new cap does the trick it would be worth having the coolant changed using the proper OAT coolant (try and find someone with a coolant filling vacuum pump).

Also check that the coolant pipes under the car isn’t corroded and leaking.

·
Registered
mg_tf
198 Posts
my........my2000 w reg has been doing a similar thing for the last month loss of coolant(no oil contamination)

i took it to a well respected garage,,,,brown and gammons they pressure tested the system its fine but due to where the leak was coming from,drivers side rear wheel they where convinced that the water pump is faulty they will replace it when my service is due at the end of the month

im wondering if you can see where the coolant is leaking on your tf

careful that u dont upset ur mixture by only topping with water

also shouldnt ur pressure test included whether ur expansion tank cap is faulty?
its good advice to change it but do check ur water pump

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,290 Posts
The pressure test kit replaces the cap so it will not show up if its faulty, good point about the water pump though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi all,

Right, got another pressure test done today at another place and they found a leaking pipe. Had it replaced so everything should be fine now, just have to wait and see.

God knows what they did at the other place as they found nothing and recommended a head removal, they probs would've charged me for a repair I didn't need.

Well I just need some time to see if it is alright.

Thanks for all the suggestions, all very much appreciated :grouphug:

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,290 Posts
Sounds like good news.:)

It makes you wonder how many miss diagnoses of HGF’s there have been over the years.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts