MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking on eBay the other day and i saw a cool blue(think that's the name) colour TF in mint condition. On closer inspection i thought there was something different about the front bumper, then i realised there was no black trim insert on the lower section of the bumper where the fog lights and mesh grille are. Does anyone else know of this and is it easily removed or is it glued in place. I had a look at mine to see if it could and can see two bolts at the top inside the sort of recesses next to the fogs. Will these remove it?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
The are 2 types of bumpers fitted to TFs. Pre 2004 cars have a 1 peice bumper, the black section is mearly masked off when the bumper is painted.
Later cars have a 2 peice bumper where the black section is an addiotnal peice fitted after the bumper has been painted, but once glued in place peice can't be removed without damageing the bumper.
So if you want to loose the black part, you only option is to have it painted as some member of this site have done. Personally dont like the look when this is done in the smae colour as the car. Its looks marginly better if done in a conrtrasting colour but I still wouldn't spoil my car by doing it :O
I have seen cars for sale at delaers that have had the black sections painted due to repairs or remiadial action being done on the bumper and the bodyshop not being able to get a good finish around the black section. This was why MG changed to the 2 peice bumper as there is no need to mask the bumper for painting and thus the finish is much better IMO.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SHARKYMGF said:
The are 2 types of bumpers fitted to TFs. Pre 2004 cars have a 1 peice bumper, the black section is mearly masked off when the bumper is painted.
Later cars have a 2 peice bumper where the black section is an addiotnal peice fitted after the bumper has been painted, but once glued in place peice can't be removed without damageing the bumper.
So if you want to loose the black part, you only option is to have it painted as some member of this site have done. Personally dont like the look when this is done in the smae colour as the car. Its looks marginly better if done in a conrtrasting colour but I still wouldn't spoil my car by doing it :O
I have seen cars for sale at delaers that have had the black sections painted due to repairs or remiadial action being done on the bumper and the bodyshop not being able to get a good finish around the black section. This was why MG changed to the 2 peice bumper as there is no need to mask the bumper for painting and thus the finish is much better IMO.
cool, i was just curious really to see how mine would look. That's made my mind up to not attempt touching it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts