MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1955 MG TF & 1975 MGB and 1954 Austin Healey BN 1
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago, while driving my TF, somehow my fan blades started to wobble and chewed the heck out of the radiator. Members suggested that the engine and/or the transmission mountings came loose. Is it more conceivable that perhaps the water is at fault? With the radiator out and a quick on and off of the engine, the new fan blades seem to wobble. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
371 Posts
John I thought I was going mad until I noticed you have a 1955 MG TF so sadly you are on the wrong forum as this is dedicated to the later MGF and TF's. I know nothing about the 1950'sTF but most cars of that era had the fan bolted directly to the water pump on the front of the block, maybe the bearing in the pump has failed causing the blade to wobble.

·
Registered
mg_tf
649 Posts
Thanks John,
Now we know you do indeed have a 1950s TF!
As Deepfat says, you have water pump issues ( assuming the bolts which hold the blades to the pump are sound and tight).
Replacement pumps should be available, but quality may be questionable. Might be worth considering having yours reconditioned via. a new bearing etc.- if not too far gone.
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
By the way John, if it were me, I would also replace the fan drive belt. If the bearings are shot and the fan is wobbling as you have described, the belt may well have suffered an 'unusual loading' - unlikely, but possible.

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,156 Posts
Had this with an Opel Manta GT/E many years ago, ended up removing the fan and fitting an electric one with a switch on the dash...only problem was remembering to keep a check on the temp when driving :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts