MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High guys, wonder if someone can help.

I've recently purchased a 1996 P reg (Bubble) 214si. The Temperature gauge does not register anything - sits right at bottom of scale. Engine gets hot, thermostat opens, expansion tank levels correct and internal heaters give nice heat so I don't suspect air locks or HGF - indeed thermostat housing gets really toasty, so there is heat around transmitters.

I've removed dash and checked the single wire connection from sensor to back of dash plug is intact - it was. I placed 9v square battery across gauge connections and it moved up the scale.......

Transmitter must be knackered I thought. Ordered a new one from Rimmer Bros (Blue Cap - Part YCB100420). Thought I'd test it first before removing existing one. So plug it in and put the transmitter in a cup of just boiled water - I'm thinking 80 - 90C by the time I got set up. Still no life from the needle.

Just wondering if I'm missing something here, like a fuse or something. Why is there only one wire coming from transmitter plug, when transmitter has two terminals??

Any input gratefully accepted before I change a part I don't need or get another gauge from scrappy.....

Thanks - great board by the way - I've already repaired about 10 things in the 2 weeks I've had it......

Lee

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
It can only be a wiring fault, if you earth the pin in the connector at the sensor end does the gauge respond?

One pin of the sensor is connected to earth through the sensor body, hence there is only one wire connected.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi technozen

I'll try earthing the connection, but what you've just said has made me realise why my "hot cup of water" test did not do anything - there was no connection made as the body of the sensor would not have been earthed - what a divvy. Soz, I'm a spanner man not a spark!!

Lee

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi. I earthed the connection on the transmitter and the gauge does shoot up, so I assume the transmitter is duff. I will replace tomorrow with new thermostat and coolant......

Any tips, recommendations for me prior to me carrying out this procedure??

Thanks again,
Lee

1 - 4 of 4 Posts