MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i did a run up the motorway and i noticed that the temp gauge was awfully close to the red marker and noticed if i went quicker it got closer, if i slowed it went down, its never done this before, always stayed like level, any ideas what could be wrong ?

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
losing any coolant??

going a little faster should really drop the temperature due to higher air flow, either you have a cooling problem or a wiriing fault.

·
Registered
rover_100
233 Posts
Read this: http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=131829

Preety much your case. 2-3 good flushes, replace the coolant (using a good one), test the radiator (replace if necessary), test the thermostat (replace if necessary or in case of doubt), test the two temperature sensors (and see if the fan works or not, much before the red mark), change the expansion reservoir cap and bleed the system properly.

Top up during the next 2 days (if necessary) and that should be all.

Ah! If you intend to replace the timing kit shortly, then do not forget to replace the water pump or, at least, check it (the inside part).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but mine dont over heat when stuck in traffic etc etc, the only time the temp gauge shoots up is when im doing 70+ on the motorway, if i dare go over 80mph then the temp gauge goes straight into the red. Ive topped the coolant up etc and still does it, what else may it be

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aint got a clue where it is lol or how to even change it :) best to get someone who knows what they are doing maybe

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
iirc its right at the back of the engine, low down, probably need sturdy axle stands or a ramp? someone will be along shortly who knows where it is.

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
The thermostat housing is at the back of the engine underneath the inlet manifold at the cambelt end.

Access from above and below is arkward and some pipework has to be removed first to allow the housing to be removed.

Not a job I would suggest you tackle if you are unsure.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Honestly its a swine beetch, basket, gunt job if you leave the inlet manifol in place which I reccomend.Use a 1/4" set for 'better' access and a long extension with a u joint.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
it is really akward , did mine last month two bolts are fibe to undo , however the on closest to the block took a hour or so ha. i tried from the top way tried underneath but couldnt get the bar on , kept slipping

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
Take the extra bit of time and remove the inlet manifold, it will save all the hassle, time spent and grazed knuckles trying to do the work with it in the way!

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Garh! Thermostat is a nightmare!

I've just tried to do mine, I got it fitted but I'm loosing coolant from somewhere now, and I've checked the heater hose and nothing.

Buggering thing took me the best part of four hours thanks to having to backtrack and remove parts to get to other ones. The K-Series really is a tight squeese in the Metro.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
who do i goto then to get it fixed lol and is it expensive? will it do any harm driving it around in the mean time as i aint got money to be paying out for car repairs at the minute and i cant exactly fix it myself :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts