MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is a V reg Rover 200 1.6.

I am trying to diagnose this without actually ever having seen the car! The sister in laws car had HGF and a local garage did the job (not a cheapo quote either!). When she picked it up it was fine when cold, but started to tap when warm. I told her to take it back & they added some tappet fluid & told her to run it for a few weeks. She has done over 100miles over the 2 weeks & it is still there.

I did the other halfs MGF HGF about 12 months ago & had tappet noise when first starting after the repair as you would expect, but not anything after the first run or now when warm.

Sounds to me like a faulty or damaged lifter maybe? If it isnt filling up surely it should be noisy from cold?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ohhhh shameless bump!

Anyone any ideas? Should the garage have spotted a faulty lifter or potentially damaged one?

They said as a gesture of goodwill they will only charge 1hr to do the job (they reckoned it would take 3-4) and only charge for the lifters that needed replacing.

Are we being taken for a ride???

·
Registered
mg_zr
698 Posts
Ohhhh shameless bump!

Anyone any ideas? Should the garage have spotted a faulty lifter or potentially damaged one?

They said as a gesture of goodwill they will only charge 1hr to do the job (they reckoned it would take 3-4) and only charge for the lifters that needed replacing.

Are we being taken for a ride???

No it doesn't sound like it. Some engines do make that noise, others don't.

It could be anything. Piston slap, tappets, injectors, charcoal cannister etc etc.

To be honest, if i do a short journey in my ZR, you can hear a tap tap tap when it's idling, and the temp needle shows optimum temp. After a longer, harder run, it quite quiet.
I always warm the car up by driving gently for around 2-3 miles, then once fully warmed up drive normally.

I'm almost certain it's nothing to do with the previous HGF.

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
Did the oil and coolant mix when the HG failed?

A good flushing of the oil system and a fresh fill of good quality engine oil may well fix the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts