MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all.

my sisters car has begun making an odd noise. on first start up it'll make a loud tapping noise from the top end, it'll quieten down, but still be there. i don't know these engines, but if it were my car doing it then i'd be adjusting the shims - but im not sure about the rover engines.

the car never used to do this, and has jsut started recently. its done around 65k. would flushing it through with diesel clear it out - does it have self adjuting hydraulic tappets?

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,244 Posts
This is quite common with some engines on starting. Try an oil and filter change with a decent 10/40 oil.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
It usually starts at some time in it's life, some have it from new others just develop it. It's common and it'll not cause any problem as long as it quietens down when up to temp.
As above swap the oil for a good 10w/40, no need to flush if it's had regular oil changes.

·
Registered
rover_25
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there no scope to adjust the tappets, it's a noise it shouldn't make.. so should be able to get rid of it.

i'll tell her not to worry, and change the oil when i get time. cheers

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Do not do that!!
Why not, I don't think he means fuel?

is there no scope to adjust the tappets, it's a noise it shouldn't make.. so should be able to get rid of it.

i'll tell her not to worry, and change the oil when i get time. cheers
The tappets or followers as they should be called are self adjusting hydraulic ones, so no adjustment is necessary.

·
Registered
rover_25
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so they're just clogged then, and i did mean fuel - drain the oil, fill the sump with diesel and run engine for 30mins with no load, and not over 1500rpm - how ive cleared clogged ones before!

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
so they're just clogged then, and i did mean fuel - drain the oil, fill the sump with diesel and run engine for 30mins with no load, and not over 1500rpm - how ive cleared clogged ones before!
Crapping hell..don't do it! :twak2:
If you must flush use proper engine flush WITH the oil.

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,244 Posts
OMG I agree with ashy. The engine bearings are designed to operate with a lubricating oil. Diesel is not an effective lubricant. How do you then remove all the residue of diesel when you have drained it.
As an engineer I get quite concerned about some of the activities of some people on here. No wonder that some engines pack up for no obvious reason.:eek:verkill:

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
I think he means diesel engine oil as an engine flush.

it has much stronger detergents that petrol oil.

Its supposed to work quite well, but you won't get me doing it though.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
I think he means diesel engine oil as an engine flush.

it has much stronger detergents that petrol oil.

Its supposed to work quite well, but you won't get me doing it though.
No he doesn't!
Next time read the whole thread you lazy bugger...:eyes:

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
I have to say - I know of none K's that have got "tappety" yet. Allthough they ALL seem to make a quite tap which you can hear when under the bonnet?

·
Registered
rover_25
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
diesel is oil. it lubricates the fuel pump, and bores on a diesel engine - this is why if you put petrol in a diesel, it will destroy it. it strips the oil out and leaves the engine with no lubrication.

i've cleaned clogged engines before like this, and it works - it doesnt destroy them. i'm not suggesting drive the thing when its full of diesel, but it does work.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The quiet tapping noise you hear under most K-series bonnets isn't actually the tappets, it's the injectors opening and closing.

The old SPI Metro's were the worst, you could hear them in the cabin! lol

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,244 Posts
Diesel fuel is oil as it is a product further down the chain of the refining process. Main bearings cam shaft bearings etc are designed with tolerances to be supported by the correct grade of lubricant ie 10/40 in a K 1.4. I would be extremely worried about turning the key on a car with diesel fuel in the sump.:wtf:

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
diesel is oil. it lubricates the fuel pump, and bores on a diesel engine - this is why if you put petrol in a diesel, it will destroy it. it strips the oil out and leaves the engine with no lubrication.

i've cleaned clogged engines before like this, and it works - it doesnt destroy them. i'm not suggesting drive the thing when its full of diesel, but it does work.
It's your car mate go ahead, but don't be wondering a few months down the line where that bottom end knock is coming from?

·
Registered
419 Posts
no way put in diesel ........... agree with ashy drain oil put in GOOD grade 10/40 ,if you have to flush use a good one i have used a unipart one thats worked well .diesel will kill the catalyst plus any one around it when the engine is running.....................

1 - 20 of 22 Posts