MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts?

I used to say I didn't see a point in them as I have a laptop and a smart phone, why would I need a tablet!? However, my GF mentioned it recently and she is tempted to get me one for my birthday.

I've been doing a bit of research in to them and thinking, although my phone can do everything a tablet can, it would be nice for watching films/videos and playing games on. That's what I would use the laptop for (or mainly Xbox), but I rarely take the laptop away any more and has become more of a "front room" device.

I'm thinking it would be good for work, as I could sit in my car at lunch and watch a video/play a game and when we go away and stay somewhere I could take it for similar reasons.

I quiet fancied the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, until I read the specs! Currently I'm leaning towards the Nexus 7, but would like an 8" or 10" screen if possible, but nothing seems to match the Nexus for under £250!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I wanted the iPad but ended up with a Samsung Tab 2. I regret it for the one fact of its lack of support for certain flash formats. I am a member at Arsenal and watch all the matches via Arsenal Player. It wont work on my tablet. Tried the work arounds and no luck. Arsenal player works fine on my iPods etc. Beyond that it is a decent tablet and worth the money. I mainly use it for kindle and movies. That is about it.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
My gf got me an iPad mini when it first came out - I use it primarily on my commute to work, loading it up with downloads from BBC iPlayer and 4OD.

I wish it wasn't so 'boxed in' though. I'd love to be able to install uTorrent on it so that I could download content directly to it...Legitimate and legal content.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Nexus 7 is the one to go for at the moment.

I was in the same situation as you. Wasn't really too fussed about one, but then my Mum said she wanted to get me one for Christmas and was happy with getting me a Nexus 7.

I love it, it's just so convenient for doing stuff when sat around. I currently have a desktop PC, a smartphone and my girlfriend's laptop, so I didn't think a tablet would add any benefit for me, but now when I'm sat around or just laying in bed, and want a quick browse for something, then the tablet is perfect.

For the price, the Nexus 7 can't be beaten. Specs are amazing for the price, and definitely has the best screen on par with Apple's Retina Display. Watching movies on Netflix and Google Play Movies is very nice, the tablet is very comfortable to hold and very smooth to use. Battery life is very good as well.

I'd go for the Nexus 7, you certainly won't regret it (just make sure it's the 2013 model).

I bought my girlfriend an iPad mini for Christmas (can't really say much about it as I'm not an Apple fan at all), but I definitely prefer it to an iPad. So much nicer to use and hold over 10" screens.

For the price though, the Nexus 7 still wins. Despite being a 7" screen, it definitely doesn't take away being productive on it/watching movies. I loaded it up with iPlayer downloads and Google Play movies, and watching stuff on the train was great.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Only thing that made me want the iPad was being able to play Arsenal player. Though beyond that, I am not an Apple fan boy. I use to be big time but not anymore. I love having an Android tablet. As a computer science student, I can develop as much software as I like and run it on my tablet. Apple is very locked and just boring.

·
Administrator
54,941 Posts
I wanted the iPad but ended up with a Samsung Tab 2. I regret it for the one fact of its lack of support for certain flash formats. I am a member at Arsenal and watch all the matches via Arsenal Player. It wont work on my tablet. Tried the work arounds and no luck. Arsenal player works fine on my iPods etc. Beyond that it is a decent tablet and worth the money. I mainly use it for kindle and movies. That is about it.
Then its not flash as the iPad has zero support for Flash. Android dropped flash support as well, but you can side load it back in if you want to.

I do know someone who is sad enough to support Arsenal ;) who uses the player on his Nexus 7, so it is Android compatible.

·
Administrator
54,941 Posts
There is a new Nexus 10 (2014) due soon, but I don't think it will fall into the price point you are looking for.

I'd go and try a Nexus 7 in a local store (PCWorld, Currys etc) and see if it would do the job.

·
Registered
844 Posts
There is a new Nexus 10 (2014) due soon, but I don't think it will fall into the price point you are looking for.

I'd go and try a Nexus 7 in a local store (PCWorld, Currys etc) and see if it would do the job.
I'm still hoping it's an improvement over the 2012 Nexus 10, as that was a huge letdown when compared to the Nexus 7 2012.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I'm still hoping it's an improvement over the 2012 Nexus 10, as that was a huge letdown when compared to the Nexus 7 2012.
I looked for a Nexus 10 and found that the existing one is out-dated and that they are no longer making them.

If a Nexus 10 came around with similar specs to the Nexus 7 and was a decent price I would consider it, but my birthday is on Monday, so don't think it will be announced and available this week :(

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have had a nexus 7 since they first came out. It is a great tablet. One of the advantages is that the operational software is always updated first by Google. Mine is currently at Android version 4.4.2
I have used it for navigation on the North sea and it has been abroad many times.
I have a case with a magnet in the lid which switches it off when closed.

The latest one now has a front and back camera and is quite a bit faster if you are buying one make sure you get this one.

The old nexus 10 has been withdrawn and the replacement is not yet available and even the spec for it has not been released. It will be much more expensive than the 7 and will not initially be discounted.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Mate,

Thanks for the info :broon:
I would be looking at the upgraded Nexus 7 with the Quadcore processor.

Mostly would use it for Games/Emulators & Films.

Any idea what sort of price range the Nexus 10 would be in?

I wonder if I will end up with a tablet or not! :lol:

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Then its not flash as the iPad has zero support for Flash. Android dropped flash support as well, but you can side load it back in if you want to.

I do know someone who is sad enough to support Arsenal ;) who uses the player on his Nexus 7, so it is Android compatible.
I have watched stuff on arsenal player on nexus 10

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
We have lots of tablets in our household, mostly due to my work and the only ones that get used alot are the kids ones, My laptop gets used all the time.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't imagine I would use them much at home, mostly at work for my lunchbreak or when we go away.

Although it could be handy for achievement hunting on my Xbox 360 :p

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
I don't imagine I would use them much at home, mostly at work for my lunchbreak or when we go away.

Although it could be handy for achievement hunting on my Xbox 360 :p
I was hoping there would be better smart glass stuff with my xbox one but so far is rather limited.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hi Mate,

Thanks for the info :broon:
I would be looking at the upgraded Nexus 7 with the Quadcore processor.

Mostly would use it for Games/Emulators & Films.

Any idea what sort of price range the Nexus 10 would be in?

I wonder if I will end up with a tablet or not! :lol:
The Nexus 10 will be in the in the mid £300 price range when it's out. It's gonna be competing with the iPads, so be cheaper than them. Just go with the Nexus 7 haha

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well we shall see what happens come Monday! :lol:

Cheers for all your help guys.

A Nexus 8 with the same specs as the Nexus 7 would be perfect! Shame it wasn't out already! :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts