MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Apparantly the VVC is good for 160 ps (bhp).

Interestingly enough, so is the (non-vvc no doubt) 1.8 Turbo engine. Wondering what a turbo VVC could manage......... :bgrin:

A turbo T-series 2.0 litre is apparently good for 200bhp in standard trim. Non-turbo is supposed to be somewhere around the 140bhp area.

But I reckon lower down performance on the VVC K could possibly end up being better, especially if the T is off the turbo boost.

·
Registered
mg_maestro
701 Posts
Vincero said:
Apparantly the VVC is good for 160 ps (bhp).

A turbo T-series 2.0 litre is apparently good for 200bhp in standard trim. Non-turbo is supposed to be somewhere around the 140bhp area.

But I reckon lower down performance on the VVC K could possibly end up being better, especially if the T is off the turbo boost.
The VVC engine in the ZR160 and TF160 has... yes, 160bhp, so this is fact.

A Turbo T series has minimal turbo lag and will have more low down torque than a VVC - I've driven both.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
180bhp is easily achievable in the VVC and will be quicker on the twisty bits than the iron lumped T series (even a standard turbo).

A Supercharged K series can see 260bhp reliably.

G

·
There are a wealth of bolt on tuning extras available for the K VVC - partly because of the Lotus Elise brigade. You start at 160 bhp and can reasonably gain an extra 20bhp or so.

The T serties turbo begins at 200bhp if you get an early one in good condition, but the transplant is harder work.

Have a look at the threads on this forum about turbo conversions - it is a pretty involved option.

As the driver of an 800 Vitesse turbo, I can say that the t series turbo gives a huge push from low revs and is a great drive. The K series will give it's push at high revs - so what sort of character you want will influence the decision, too.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Richard Moss said:
There are a wealth of bolt on tuning extras available for the K VVC - partly because of the Lotus Elise brigade. You start at 160 bhp and can reasonably gain an extra 20bhp or so.
Or 145bhp start in the case of a mems2 VVC Coupe.

G

·
That makes the case for a T series then, doesn't it?

Very different characters - I suggest trying both out first before opening the bank account.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
No, not really.

£3k to convert a VVC car to a standard 200bhp T series or £3k to tune a VVC to over 200bhp which weighs less.

The cheap route though is to sell the VVC Coupe and buy a T series turbo Coupe that was factory made.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Enclosed induction system with good cold air feed to a 52mm throttle body. The deburr the welds on the exhaust manifold and replace the exhaust with a decat (replace CAT for MOT) and a full performance exhaust system (something like a Scorpion).

This will see you into the mid 160's for not too many pennies.

G

·
As I said earlier - don't take any decisions until you drive a T series turbo and a tuned VVC. The style of one or other may not suit.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,772 Posts
Yeah a tuned VVC can go close to 200bhp, so only if you want more would i consider a T-series conversion. Its not worth it for just the std 200bhp, especially with your car being a K-series car thats going to be harder to covert to T-series turbo than a straight T-series coupe. Another point is that how many decent T-series turbo engine are out there that you can just drop in without first needing an expensive re-build, depending on what spec you want? Selling yours for a Turbo is a wiser option than converting from K to T-series power.
I think 180bhp is enough for a fun VVC engine, and this is possible whislt keeping the costs down, as for 180bhp you wont need to junk the MEMS2 and fit an Emerald with ITB's. Hell if you've got £3k to spend id even consider a K-series turbo swap, on a VVC coupe, instead of a T-series. No one yet has ever done a 1.8 turbo K coupe, so you would have a very unique and quick car!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
reliability and compatability though? It was mentioned above about the exhaust.t body and air kit, but would i be wasting money on a new cylinder head? Im wanting upgraded gaskets anyway

1 - 14 of 14 Posts