772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Ermmm these mobile phones don't record all the audio range ..impossible to tell .......it don't sound a bit like my 420 .
And the recording of the exhaust sounds like the car is ticking over at 1400 rpm ...possibly caused by faulty temperature sensor or thermostat .........which would mean that the ECU gets the the cold engine signal to it ,and richens the mixture to suit........
So your car is basically running on choke all the time .....maybe that's why it's so rough,.
all the best...mark

·
Registered
mg_zs
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aboard_epsilon said:
Ermmm these mobile phones don't record all the audio range ..impossible to tell .......it don't sound a bit like my 420 .
And the recording of the exhaust sounds like the car is ticking over at 1400 rpm ...possibly caused by faulty temperature sensor or thermostat .........which would mean that the ECU gets the the cold engine signal to it ,and richens the mixture to suit........
So your car is basically running on choke all the time .....maybe that's why it's so rough,.
all the best...mark
Revs under 1k when warm, as it was..

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
neilwalls said:
Poxy mobiles.. Have no other way of recording..
I know mate, we have great cameras for picture, but sound is something people are not so interested in.
Go to your exhaust, put your hand in the stream of gas, and see if you can feel a slight gap in the steady stream. Often accompanied by a "phut", this would be a missfire most probably.
When you are in teh car, can you 'feel' the missfire? It sort of throws the balance out, and you get a slight rumbly feeling?

·
Registered
mg_zs
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Samuel said:
I know mate, we have great cameras for picture, but sound is something people are not so interested in.
Go to your exhaust, put your hand in the stream of gas, and see if you can feel a slight gap in the steady stream. Often accompanied by a "phut", this would be a missfire most probably.
When you are in teh car, can you 'feel' the missfire? It sort of throws the balance out, and you get a slight rumbly feeling?
Exactly.. Feels almost lumpy...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
neilwalls said:
Exactly.. Feels almost lumpy...
Yeah you have a missfire i expect, I have one in mine, I'd be fixing it if it wasnt for the fact it looks like ive written it off!
Normal routine, fiddle with/replace ignition related items, plugs, leads, caps and so on. Its such an annoying fault, throwing money at it in the hope it fixes it, but no one has told me of any better methods!

R

·
0 Posts
It's worth remembering that at idle the MEMS system is almost stalling - the idle speed is cut back until the engune begins to falter and then the stepper motor kicks in to boost it. So, after checking the distributor cap, rotor arm, plugs and leads check the stepper motor actuator pin to see if it is sticking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts