MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Haynes manual says to renew the cam carrier bolts if the cams are removed. Can anybody confirm if this is ACTUALLY necessary or is it OK to reuse the old ones?

If I do have to renew, does it have to be MGR supplied parts or will same sized, high tensile generic bolts do the trick?

I want to replace the valve stem oil seals, currently have the head off but forgot to buy new bolts!

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
The only reason I can think of is the patchlock sealant applied to the threads.....nothing that a bottle of loctite won't put right....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thread lock is all that's needed.
Be careful not to overtighten as well - the threads in the head strip for a past time and are not easy to fix :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, cam carrier is OK - more than could be said for the head bolt that sheared!

Luckily, the threads were clean and copper greased - so even though it was broken off at block face level it still came out easily enough.

Off to the motor factors tomorrow am for some new bolts! No time to do the exhaust on my Sterling, though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got new head bolts from local motor factor (Andrew Page, Darlington). Full set of stretch bolts (!) for £29 inc vat and came with leaflet detailing torque settings and procedures. All seems well now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If anyone is interested......200 miles on and all is well. The Klinger gasket seems to have cured the oil leaks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts