MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cylinder head that is.

After HGF type probs in March, water pump in April, still losing coolant with no visible leaks.

So got the garage to take the head off again, and it turns out there is a small crack across the fire ring on one of the combustion chambers. Looks just like someone pressed their fingernail into the edge just where the chamber meets the flat.

So, I now have several possibilities to fix it:
1/ its gone to the skimming place, who will tell me if it can be skimmed/welded+skimmed/scrapped tomorrow afternoon. (few hundred quid)
2/ Buy new head from a Stealer for 912+VAT (part no LDF108520 ?)
3/ Acquire ported head from DVA (sent email today, no reply yet)
4/ Buy used engine/head - from where?
5/ Scrap it and buy something else...

Since its otherwise a perfectly good t-plate vvc coupe, I'm reluctant to scrap it, so what do you all reckon?

-- Andrew
p.s. apologies if I don't reply this evening - I've got a vital appointment with some beer at 8pm!

·
Registered
mgf
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rover_King said:
Dont scrap it. Get a known good head.
Its not being scrapped if I can help it!

However, would like to get it fixed for less than £1k as the car is worth only £2k even if it all works.

Basically I like the car, and would be happiest if it came home in working order...but am thinking through all the possibilities anyway.

-- Andrew

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Buy a seconhand head (£2-300) from somewhere that will gurantee it and fix it up.

·
Registered
mgf
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI all who replyed - still looking into things...but definitely not scrapping it, nor selling it for £500! Its too good for such a fate...

-- Andrew

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
There would be many known good vvc heads out of accident damaged cars.If you could find one running and take someone knowledgeable with the vvc mech then I see no reason why a good one cant be found.That is what I would be aiming to do.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
beware 2nd hand or "reconned" heads as you can olny skim 7thou fro ma K series head without turning it into scrap.

get one, but get it from a reputable source with a guaruntee to cover HGF caused by an overskimmed head

·
Registered
mgf
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sourced another head from PeteT a few weeks backand swapped all the valvegear from the old head. Its now running very nicely once more!

Cheers,
-- Andrew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts