MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some tcut to do my minor scratches but according to the label it says I will need to go over it afterwards with touch up paint?
I thought t cut was designed so you didnt have to touch up?
Its the metallic t cut bottle.
Regards
Matt

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Tcut is a cutting compound. think of it like liquid sandpaper and your along the right lines. You want to be using it to polish out light scratches. If you have scratches that are deep (you can carch them with your fingernail) then you will need to fill the spot wih touchup paint first and then cut it back to the level of the existing paint.

Tcut will not touchup paint nore will it fill scratches.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tcut has also removed any protective covering on your paintwork, you need to replace this with a good polish of which there are a good number these days

·
Registered
146 Posts
Use Mer profesional car polish if you have got the time to polish your car I have found it gives the best results. If you want to then seal it with Auto Glym (can't think of the name its got a gold lable though). Remember when you polish you car also to use a wet cloth when applying this help the polish to flow and prevent scratching. Dave at Stour-Valley rover is responsible for my knowledge he is the paint and body shop man there and is fantastic had a SMART repair on my bumper Monday and you cant tell that it has been done and my car is pearl black.

·
Registered
other_rover
2,435 Posts
Polish should not be used with a wet cloth, the car should be as close to stone dry as possible. Introducing water in to the equation just leads to the polish giving poorer performance.

·
Registered
146 Posts
gmax said:
Polish should not be used with a wet cloth, the car should be as close to stone dry as possible. Introducing water in to the equation just leads to the polish giving poorer performance.
Polishing your car dry is the worst thing to do believe me 100% your cloth should be damp as the polish flows better and you are not rubbing so much.

·
Registered
other_rover
2,435 Posts
No, believe me the cloth should be dry. AutoGlym specifically say 'load the dry cloth with polish and smear on paintwork. Meguiars much the same when you look through their instructions and top tips.

I assume you can only be referring to Mer, this is because Mer are one of the only companies that say you can use on a wet car / wet cloth. Then again Mer is all marketing and very little in the way of quality. They probably recommend applying when wet because Mer is abrasive!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts