MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Synergy last year for my 75 CDT (115bhp), which has done everything I could wish of it. I haven't touched it for months, and today as I was doing some other work on the car I decided I might have a play with the settings. I noticed that it was on position 4. Now, I can't recall why I set it to that position, and in fact I've forgotten quite a bit about what the different settings mean - and I'm afraid the table on Ron's website isn't that clear to me.

So, given that I have a reasonably new (6000 miles) MAF, and thus presumably don't need much if any MAF compensation, what settings are relevant to me? And what are people's favourites?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
I got a Synergy last year for my 75 CDT (115bhp), which has done everything I could wish of it. I haven't touched it for months, and today as I was doing some other work on the car I decided I might have a play with the settings. I noticed that it was on position 4. Now, I can't recall why I set it to that position, and in fact I've forgotten quite a bit about what the different settings mean - and I'm afraid the table on Ron's website isn't that clear to me.

So, given that I have a reasonably new (6000 miles) MAF, and thus presumably don't need much if any MAF compensation, what settings are relevant to me? And what are people's favourites?
4 is medium maf boost, low throttle response.

If your maf is okay, you could try settings 1,2,3,10 or even try switching off the mafam section.

I use 6, though after the final intake mod and egr bypass 9 & 10 work well with no smoke.

Ron

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4 is medium maf boost, low throttle response.

If your maf is okay, you could try settings 1,2,3,10 or even try switching off the mafam section.

I use 6, though after the final intake mod and egr bypass 9 & 10 work well with no smoke.

Ron
I'm going to give it a go on 10, just for the hell of it! I'll probably switch back to 3 long term, though.

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you haven't done the intake mod, cleaned the EGR and PCV it may well smoke quite a bit. Do them first - they are free!
I've been meaning to do the intake mod for months but haven't got around to it yet, as every time I've started I've been stumped by the difficulty of getting the bolts off. Is there now a canonical version of what one should do?

I did clean the EGR valve last summer, which was an easy enough job even for me. Haven't looked at the PCV yet, though.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
If the bolts will not undo just leaver the plastic down and pull. With the Mk2 mod the end doesn't get re-used anyway so it doesn't matter if you damage it.

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the bolts will not undo just leaver the plastic down and pull. With the Mk2 mod the end doesn't get re-used anyway so it doesn't matter if you damage it.
Just as well, because I wrecked it! The bolts would not move at all (what a stupid design with that rubber 'nut'), and so in the end I forced the plastic off as you suggested. I removed the splash guard using the same brute force and ignorance technique. I hope I don't need either part again! I then did the radical mark 2 cut, taking it back to near the beginning of the bellows section.

The effects were very positive, although I've only done about 15 minutes in the car since. I'll post details in another thread in the main 75 forum.

·
Banned
cityrover
3,451 Posts
I like 10 on the power/sensitivity side, makes it fly! But only use proper Derv, not the supermareket crap, cos it will probably make the engine clatter like an old London Taxi like it did on mine!

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like 10 on the power/sensitivity side, makes it fly! But only use proper Derv, not the supermareket crap, cos it will probably make the engine clatter like an old London Taxi like it did on mine!
I generally use Shell, as I've found it gives the best performance. However, supermarket fuels work fine as long as I add some Miller's Diesel Power Plus, which clearly compensates for the lack of additives.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts