MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I really wanted to be able to play mp3's on my Symphony radio and I was not satisfied with the quality from FM transmitters. I also wanted to control the playing via the steering wheel and radio buttons. So I decided to be brave and try the GROM adapter. After paying the customs (ordered from US) this is what I've got:




plus a long USB cable and a 256M USB stick. No ipod cable, but anyway I don't have an ipod so I don't care. The blue connector in the picture is supposed to go to the back of the stereo, the white connector to the grom device.

First challenge was to take out the stereo. I followed Richk's guide http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=45098 but I found out that the credit card I used to make the tools was to soft. Anyway, the missus file proved to be an excellent stereo removal tool:




This is what I found at the back or the radio:



Note the single white-red-orange wire on the blue connector.


I've just took the old blue connector out and replaced it with the supplied cable, connected the grom device, and.... NO TAPE.... The system didn't recognize the device. I cannot say I was extremely surprised... So, stereo back, and researched the forums for some hours... One of the many things I planned to try was inspired by this post from "the others": http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=18951


What I did was essentially to keep the white-red-orange wire (which in the meantime I learned it is the k-bus used for communication between various devices in the car) in place.

So I soldered a (10 cm long, red) wire to the white wire on the blue connector of the grome cable:



Then I cut the white-red-orange wire from the old blue connector and linked it with the extension red wire:



And, voila, it works! This time I was surprised :)

There is a lot of space above the stereo. I used double sided tape to stick the device on the radio body:




and then I routed the USB and aux cables to the glove box:





The sound quality is excellent and the steering wheel and stereo controls do what they are supposed to do, with one exception: Pressing the "mode" button on the steering wheel to switch rapidly from CD to radio and back to CD should switch the AUX and the USB input on the grome device. This works some times but not always, and the device seems to go to AUX every time after the radio is switched on from the "mode" button. This is a minor annoyance but still I'd like to fix it somehow...

The only other thing I'm not completely satisfied with is the display on the radio: It does not show the artist and song name, but something like "Disk n / Track m". I hope a future release of the firmware (seems to be easy to update) will change this...
 

·
Registered
rover_75
Joined
·
97 Posts
I have to say a huge thankyou to dragos for this thread.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Grom adaptor (MK I) for my Ipod and found it would not work with the Symphony. The supplier (Carputer Shop) readily shipped out a MK II version as a replacement, but this also refused to be recognised by the Symphony. Carputer Shop have logged a support call with Grom, but in the meantime I followed dragos advice and connected the 2 KBus wires on the mini ISOs. Now it works!:clap:

Many, many thanks,

Cliff
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top