MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have Xenon lights on my Mk 1 260. I have been very reliably informed that there is a little switch buried somewhere around the headlight assembly to flip the beam profile over so as not to dazzle our continental cousins when driving over there.

Problem is, I don't know where this switch is? Either muppet level instructions, or even better a photo would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Womble said:
Hi All,

I have Xenon lights on my Mk 1 260. I have been very reliably informed that there is a little switch buried somewhere around the headlight assembly to flip the beam profile over so as not to dazzle our continental cousins when driving over there.

Problem is, I don't know where this switch is? Either muppet level instructions, or even better a photo would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris.
iirc a photo and/or clear instructions has been published before. A search should bring it up.

hth

Mike :)

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Read the owners handbook. I believe it's in there.

I think there is a yellow switch on the Xenon units, have a look.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ti Rich said:
Read the owners handbook. I believe it's in there.

I think there is a yellow switch on the Xenon units, have a look.
Ah you lucky people who actually got owners' handbooks with the relevant information for your car in them :sad3: Sadly, as my car was pre-production by about 6 months, the 260 owners' manual apparently hadn't been produced at the time, so much as I would like to take the RTFM route, I can't!

I have also tried searching on here, but I either get just this thread popping up, or about 400 if I just search on Xenon. Anything I try in between doesn't seem to produce any relevant results.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Here you go:-

1. remove the cover from the rear of the appropriate headlight

2. Locate the lever inside the headlightunit and move the lever to the alternative position from which it is currently set.

3. Replace the headlight cover

On your return remember to change it back!!!!

This works for Xenon and Halogen projector headlights (so it says)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ti Rich said:
Here you go:-

1. remove the cover from the rear of the appropriate headlight

2. Locate the lever inside the headlightunit and move the lever to the alternative position from which it is currently set.

3. Replace the headlight cover

On your return remember to change it back!!!!

This works for Xenon and Halogen projector headlights (so it says)

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Lever what lever............. rummage rumage..........ah ha.......... NO........ not that one thats the laser cannon focus control right next to the ejector se....................... what................ now where did he go

:naughty:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keith Alexander said:
Oh dear it was 13:10 when I posted the above
perhaps he did find the Ejector seat button after all

Where he gone?

:dunno:

Come back Womble!
Sorry!!! I forgot to mention that the car was at the dealers for them to go exploring for water ingress under warranty. I had been expecting the car back this afternoon, but they're now having to keep it for another day to get under the carpets :eek: So I won't get it back until tomorrow, and will have to refer back then!

It has also just occured to me that I could have asked the garage to show me :doh: I suppose that should be taken as a ringing endorsement of the level of advice provided on this forum that my first thought was to ask here! :D

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
terrymac said:
4 photos here incl the page from the manual, Rich was spot on http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/album?.dir=ba21re2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Note: the lever on my ZT (2004 pre-facelift) is bright metal - pics 93 and 94 are n/s headlight, pic 98 is o/s headlight - the levers are 'handed' if you know what I mean

HTH Terry

Sorry, don't know how to get the URL for the individual pics on Yahoo hence the clunky link!
That's perfect Terry! Thanks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
no problem - if you want the original of the handbook pic just PM me - on the Yahoo link it is only 17kb - the original is 2.7MB so can be read easily

cheers

Terry

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Morning All,

Easy once you know how! It was the "remove back cover from headlight" part that had been eluding me.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,

Chris.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks Guys... I have been reading this one with interest... off to France on saturday, so headlamps will be ripped open tomorow! Womble... where and when are you going Dude? If its next week, keep your eyes open for a heavily laden Silver ZT-T towing a big caravan and sporting a large slobbering Dog in the back. Enjoy your hols.
J

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Biker in a suit said:
Thanks Guys... I have been reading this one with interest... off to France on saturday, so headlamps will be ripped open tomorow! Womble... where and when are you going Dude? If its next week, keep your eyes open for a heavily laden Silver ZT-T towing a big caravan and sporting a large slobbering Dog in the back. Enjoy your hols.
J
We're not going until September. I was just preparing early :bgrin:

I'll be sans dog and caravan, but with 1 toddler and 1 large slobbering baby in the back!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Remember this only applies to the Halogen Projector headlights or Xenon. If you have the standard headlights there is no adjustment

·
Registered
428 Posts
Womble said:
We're not going until September. I was just preparing early :bgrin:

I'll be sans dog and caravan, but with 1 toddler and 1 large slobbering baby in the back!

Dude good luck, where are you going? got plenty of tips if your heading to the south... we are going to Agay near Frejus this time.
J

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Biker in a suit said:
Dude good luck, where are you going? got plenty of tips if your heading to the south... we are going to Agay near Frejus this time.
J
My parents' used an absurdly generous early retirement package from IBM to buy a house on the Dordogne, so we'll be heading down there. Shouldn't cost more than £500 each way in V8 fuel costs! :lol:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Womble said:
My parents' used an absurdly generous early retirement package from IBM to buy a house on the Dordogne, so we'll be heading down there. Shouldn't cost more than £500 each way in V8 fuel costs! :lol:
Gulp...£500? went in a diesel Montego countryman a few years ago all the way to Nice on 1.5 tankfulls, cost me about £50.. sigh...if only fuel was that cheap now!!

Yeh but think of that V8 rumble.... shades on... sun shining, surely worth the extra fuel?

Good luck enjoy your hols.... and the car

Jamie

1 - 20 of 24 Posts