Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First post and all that hoolalalala.

I am in the market for a sports car and thought of the SV. What are peoples opinions on this car and what makes it better than it's competitors ?

Any negatives also ?

·
Registered
989 Posts
im going to say this only.

In a week Porsche make 500 911s
Also in a week Mg make 2 sv'

the sv is highly exclusive with only 840 ever going to be built.
also it is far more attracting than other rivals and will turn millions of heads.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
It all boils down to personal taste, at the end of the day.
The thing with SV, you can customerise it with pretty much any spec you want.
There aren't many carbon composite cars about, you know, and the SV is the first production car with in-built GPS security system so they would know where to go shall the SV go wrong, and is able to lock the engine once it has stopped, when you report the car is stolen, which makes it cheaper to insure!

Don't let the other news of "MG sold to China" news worries you. If the news is true, MGR would still get hold of the MG Sport & Racing division (who takes care of the SV).

You asked the question at the right time because a group of the forum members went to the MG S&R two days ago. Welcome to the forum, by the way.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the warm welcome Andy.

Are there any other members who would care to enlighten me further before I decide with which marque I shall make my purchase.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Welcome to the forum Andy! The MG SV is a high performance, exclusive vehicle using state of the art carbon fibre technology. Yes, you can get the same performance for less money but the car's exclusivity is something that is very likely to guarantee a high resale retention value. I woud personally be proud to drive one and look forward to doing just that if and when MGR bring the SV across the Atlantic!

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Porsche nowadays are the equivilent of Ford Mondeo's in the Supercar class. They're so common that I hardly notice one anymore. Ferrari is going the same way.

The SV however is something special. They are about as rare Rocking Horse Poo and will wow anyone who sees it. I'd say its worth the Money, just for the exclusivity of it...

·
Registered
330 Posts
There is a feature article on the SV in this months Total MG magazine that may help you with your choice.

It is certainly a stunning looking car.

I see loads of Porsche's and Ferrari's about on an almost daily basis, but have yet to see an SV in the flesh as it were. On the exclusivity front alone, it must win hands down.

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
welcome to the forums, steve childs the guvnor of this site brought an s,v to the waterman meet i organised last sunday, i was lucky enough to have a ride in it, it looks sensational, sounds awesome and it unbelievably quick, if you want something different, a head turner, go test drive one mate, you will not be dissapointed ;)

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
Success said:
So the general concensus is that the MG is better than a Porsche ?
no one can say this really as we havent driven them.

1) the MG is more exclusive
2) it looks very agresive and one of a king in its look (good or bad point is up to youre taste)
3) bespoke dash and intiror trim chouses and the option of the monogram paints including some very nice flip paints

if u are in the midlands go to the dealer in coventry they are a phonix (MGR owned) dealer and have an SV in the show room so should be able to give u a test drive.

·
Premium Member
43,249 Posts
Having seen about a dozen SV/SV-R's on Thursday and seen them being built, I can honestly say that is where my money would go. They are superb by design and completely unique. Amazing cars and there seems to be no shortage of buyers.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Success said:
We may be a bit baised, but we try our best. :p

The SV rides and handles very well, even Jeremy Clarkson loves it. The "base model" SV may not be faster than a Porsche, but as I said, you can customise the SV and this is a car where you practically are the one who choose the horsepower figure. Well, maybe not the nitro-gas 900+ BHP (because of legistration) but it depends how deep your pocket is. They would even make an album of the stages of the production of your SV, which I don't think they do in Porsche.

One of the area in which the Porsche have the upper hand, IMO, but if you got the combination right, it would look great like below:

The dashboard takes five hides to make and another four for the seats.

Here are the photos from the image gallery.
http://gallery.mg-rover.org/showgal...1/sort/1/perpage/12/password//ppuser//stype/0
http://gallery.mg-rover.org/showgallery.php?si=SV&x=0&y=0

It is best for you to test drive the car yourself to make the decision.
Where about do you live? If you live in Midland or London, I guess it would not hard to get a test drive.

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
Success said:

No doubt about it, if you happen to desire the Porsche it is undoubtably very desireable.Whether it is better than the SV or SV-R though is all relative imo. What are you looking for in a particular car? It is certainly more exclusive so that I believe is a tick/check in the plus column for MG.

As mentioned by some of the other members, the car is highly customizable at the factory level, another plus for the SV. It is a bespoke car in the way that an Aston Martin is. It is essentially hand made and that accounts for the high cost of the car.

It looks incredible in SV-R trim in that wacky orange with black wheels. Do you want to be looked at? In most cases the German car is going to be invisible in traffic, whereas the SV-R previously described could probably stop traffic in the same that way a Ferrari can. The best line of attack would be for you to go and arrange a test of both vehicles. If I was in the market for this kind of vehicle as an MG fan I'd buy the MG everytime.

I believe part of the answer you seek is that in some ways, yes the SV is a better car. However in other areas perhaps the Porsche is the smarter choice. As I see it this is an Emotional decision not a smart or pragmatic one. The SV makes my pulse race. The Porsche which I respect and admire is mundane and prosaic when compared to the SV and really doesn't move me at all.

This isn't merely about Spec Sheets or performance stats it is about wanton lust and desire. I lust and desire an Aston DB9 or V8 Vantage. I desire and lust the Supercharged Range Rover Sport or Top Line Range Rover. I lust and desire after a Rover 75 V8. To a degree I lust after some Audi's, (A black Audi A8 LWB for instance) but they lack that certain something (Unlike the SV.) Put simply, by and large Audi's make too much sense and lack the quirky character traits of a Rover 75 V8 or SV.

If I had a stable of vehicles the SV-R in Orange or some other arresting "Good morning officer" colour would be in there for sure. Heck I'd even settle for a 1/18 scale version! I WANT an SV-R. I don't NEED one. Big Difference. Do you WANT an SV??

The new B*W M5 is probably a better car than the new Cadillac Supercharged STS. But which one pushes my buttons?? The Caddy. Irrational? Perhaps? but to see the two on the street it isn't even close visually. The Caddy is edgy, original and fresh. The 5 series or M5, is droopy, vaguely Korean or Japanese in appearance. The B*W is probably the smarter choice but if I was in the market for this kind of car, I'd take the Cadillac everytime and throw logic and common sense out of the window.

If people approach everything they buy from an investment or common sense standpoint, they invariably do not get what they desire. They get what is best for their bank balance. BORING!!

Go and test the SV!! As a bonus I believe you can visit Longbridge, and see your car being built.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
flip said:
Success, may I ask what else is on your shopping list?
I do not have a definitive list at the moment and am still considering my options. The tenants on this forum would certainly make me believe that an SV is the top choice.

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
Success said:
I do not have a definitive list at the moment and am still considering my options. The tenants on this forum would certainly make me believe that an SV is the top choice.

I have been trying to find the pictures of the SV-R Club Sport for you in that lurid orange colour and with 20" black OZ wheels. It really is breathtaking imo and fixes the main asthetic gripe I have with the standard SV.That is the 18" wheels look too small. I wish I could locate the piccies, (they are all on MG-R's dedicated Media site but I'm not sure how to lift them) as in a couple you can see the gills. They are in a raw carbon fibre finish, and the contrast against the orange is stunning. Damn I want this car.

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
Success said:

It's a different price range I know, but have you considered the new Nissan Z? ;)

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Again, Common as mook around these parts. They have only been out for a few months and I've seen 3 already...

With the SV, you get exclusivity in its rawest form.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Success said:
I don't have the time right now to post a full reply (in the middle of decorating) - but I did drive an SV-R last week...

I'll try and get on later or tomorrow for a full post...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.