MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an annoying problem. On saturday I noticed the front suspension in my Rover 114 GSi began to squeak when driving along. It wasn't doing it all the time, just when going over large bumps. It coincided with driving around Halifax, which is pretty hilly compared to Preston (where I usually drive). I went back to Halifax yesterday and the squeaking has got much worse and is quite audible.

Any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,274 Posts
Rear suspension arm needs grease
Ball joints dry and need grease
Cone spring cups shot and need replacing
Sounds like a dirty weekend is in store for you.

·
Registered
rover_75
432 Posts
Yep, get all your nipples greased and see how it goes. When were they last lubricated? If it's more of a groaning noise from the front it'll probably be your front knuckle cups disintegrating. Not hard to change but you need to drain the Hydragas system.

Of course it could be something innocent like the trims either side of your parcel shelf which can be squeaky too :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is still squeaking coming from the front suspension but it only seems to do it when there is someone in the passenger seat. Is it potentially dangerous? I'm going to be making two or three long distance (200+ mile) journeys between May and August but I won't have the money to splash out on any expensive repairs.

What do you reckon?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An update...

No repairs carried out yet, It hasn't really squeaked since, with the exception of driving to South Wales a couple of weeks ago. Didn't notice it on the motorway due to noise from the engine (gets a bit rattly and noisy in a 'tro!) but once I got to Wales it was definitely noticable. The next day I came back to Preston and when I set off there was no squeaking, but when I got to Preston it was squeaking like crazy. The day later I used my car again and i've not had any squeaks since.
So it only kicks in after (at a guess) 30-180 miles of continuous driving, and goes away once rested. It sounds like it could be an issue with whatever is squeaking heating up (causing the squeak) and subsequent cooling (no more squeak). Or maybe continuous movement of the front suspension could cause it.

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts