MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

My rear tyres have always come close to the arches since I put 205/55/R16s on, but on the way to POL with the boot full of stuff, full tank of fuel and a friend on the back seat it was even lower.

Was fine for a while but when I went over a bump there was a lovely noise from the left rear which must have been the tyre scraping the arch as when I arrived at POL it had shaved off part of my tyre. No serious damage and was still perfectly drivable, was only a little bit of rubber around one part, not even a mm thick.

Still this is not good, and I need to raise the rear up a bit. I could put smaller tyres on but they are brand new only a couple of weeks ago so I don't really want to do this. I was looking into putting some suspension spacers in between the springs on the rear which I understand will raise it up a little and make it a tiny bit stiffer?

Any suggestions on this? Not something I've done before nor seen for sale in car shops. Thanks! :)

Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
Chris,

Take into consideration that with raising your car you are moving center of hight upper, and in this way car can be more unstable in corners.
Lowering a car makes center of height lower thus possibly more stable (this is a metter of debate, i know).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris,

Take into consideration that with raising your car you are moving center of hight upper, and in this way car can be more unstable in corners.
Lowering a car makes center of height lower thus possibly more stable (this is a metter of debate, i know).
Thanks :) and yes I understand that, but I'm not looking for a super duper raised back end I only want to raise it a little bit to ensure it clears the arches at all times. Plus the way I drive handling around corners is not my main concern, I never throw my car about like I know I can :p.

Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
Thanks :) and yes I understand that, but I'm not looking for a super duper raised back end I only want to raise it a little bit to ensure it clears the arches at all times. Plus the way I drive handling around corners is not my main concern, I never throw my car about like I know I can :p.

I see, but you already lifted your car with existing tyres for over 8.11 % (142.95 mm) from OEM size for 218 - 185/55/R15 to 205/55/R16, so .... It is up to you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see, but you already lifted your car with existing tyres for over 8.11 % (142.95 mm) from OEM size for 218 - 185/55/R15 to 205/55/R16, so .... It is up to you.
It would only be used when there's a fair bit of weight in the back which causes the car to sit very low to the arches.

Here's what I mean.... and this was without a passenger in the back.

I don't want to change the suspension itself but I'd like some assurance that the car will be ok and not chewing up it's own feet on the road when I need to carry some weight about :p. Any idea where to buy, what to buy, or any alternatives?

Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
Chris, I do not like this picture. Are you sure your rear suspension is in right state? It seems to me rather very low as I imagine it should be, nevertheless of tyre size... Boot is empty I suppose or not?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris, I do not like this picture. Are you sure your rear suspension is in right state? It seems to me rather very low as I imagine it should be, nevertheless of tyre size... Boot is empty I suppose or not?
Erm no my boot has never been empty since the day I got the car, same with any car I own xD.

I know that if I were to remove my tools and subwoofer etc then the rear suspension would go up nicely, but I don't want to have to do this as I need the stuff I carry... and sacrificing the sub would be sad.

It only had the MOT a couple of weeks back where all the suspension is tested, although admittedly the boot was completely empty for this as they wanted to check the boot floor... took me AGES to clear it out :lol:

Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
Erm no my boot has never been empty since the day I got the car, same with any car I own xD.

I know that if I were to remove my tools and subwoofer etc then the rear suspension would go up nicely, but I don't want to have to do this as I need the stuff I carry... and sacrificing the sub would be sad.

It only had the MOT a couple of weeks back where all the suspension is tested, although admittedly the boot was completely empty for this as they wanted to check the boot floor... took me AGES to clear it out :lol:
OK then, I will rest my case and let others to comment...

Registered
The streetwise had alloy spacers between the body and top mount on the rear to raise it up. You could try and get a set of these and machine them down to the thickness you want (they are 20mm thick).You would need to change the studs in the top mount for streetwise items as they are longer.

Registered
The streetwise had alloy spacers between the body and top mount on the rear to raise it up. You could try and get a set of these and machine them down to the thickness you want (they are 20mm thick).You would need to change the studs in the top mount for streetwise items as they are longer.
Yep, the studs from the Streetwise struts are huge compared to the Zr's and 25's!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts