MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I was wondering if I can put lowering springs straight onto my R200 (bubble shape) or would that damage the dampners?! I haven't a clue about any of this modification stuff so I apologise!!

Any info on this would be great!
Cheers!!

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Hi all, I was wondering if I can put lowering springs straight onto my R200 (bubble shape) or would that damage the dampners?! I haven't a clue about any of this modification stuff so I apologise!!

Any info on this would be great!
Cheers!!
You are better off getting a set of ZR dampers, and getting some diesel lowering springs.

Otherwise you will knacker up your existing shocks, and have to find another set in the future. Saves a hassle in the long run.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
You can fit a set of Eibach lowering springs straight onto you standard dampers without any adverse effect far as i'm aware had these on my old diesel 200?? they will give 30mm drop on standard. or go with skelo's option and fit a set of 25 dampers and lowering springs, think i've seen a set in an ebay shop best of british rover if remember correctly.

Eibach are the only company though i've ever come across to make diesel specific springs MAKE SURE they are for the 200 and not the 25 as there are differences. If unsure about anything just contact them they are usually very helpful.

cheers,

Mark.

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
You can fit a set of Eibach lowering springs straight onto you standard damper without any adverse effect they will give 30mm drop on standard.

Eibach are the only company i've ever come across to make diesel specific springs MAKE SURE they are for the 200 and not the 25 as i'm led to believe they are different.

cheers,

Mark.
Yes you can do that, but you will drasitcally reduce the life of standard shocks.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Skelo,

Not argueing that any lowering on standards shocks won't reduce their life span but why are the 25 unit any better?
No better than anything else i have driven, to be honest.

I didn't realise the R25 diesel suspension is better than the 200/400 etc.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Skelo,

What i'm asking is are they better damper unit eg give stiffer more stable ride than standard 200 shock units?

i've had to change mine on my 400 to the zs180 units because i could not get a set of lowering springs from Eibach to fit the 400 shock units as they have now discontinued that particular kit.:sad2:
was led to believe the that the zr/zs dampers are stiffer than the 25/45 to give a more sporty ride/handling is that true?

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Skelo,

What i'm asking is are they better damper unit eg give stiffer more stable ride than standard 200 shock units?

i've had to change mine on my 400 to the zs180 units because i could not get a set of lowering springs from Eibach to fit the 400 shock units as they have now discontinued that particular kit.:sad2:
was led to believe the that the zr/zs dampers are stiffer than the 25/45 to give a more sporty ride/handling is that true?
Now i understand :broon:

I have heard the same as you, the R25 etc, has suppossedly a better suspension than the equivalent R200 etc. Never driven a R200 bubble, so can't confirm or deny the theory.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Now i understand :broon:

I have heard the same as you, the R25 etc, has suppossedly a better suspension than the equivalent R200 etc. Never driven a R200 bubble, so can't confirm or deny the theory.

Cheers
Skelo
200 bubbles aren't too bad for regular driving but start to get a bit twitchy when you push them :shake:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Suspension on the R25 was uprated across the range from the R200.

And yeh, the diesels have different suspension than the petrols as the engine is much heavier :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts