MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain what these do?? I didn't see it on eBay (I know those ones are ****! It was in a magazine, are they any good, and do they wreck your engine?

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
can you have these on automatics?

6bhp for £300 is alot?

Rover 200
1995 - 2000
Engine type : Non-Turbo Petrol
Engine size : 1589 cm3
Cylinders : 4


Original bhp : 109
Original nm : 145
BHP increase : 6


Price : £293.75
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
You can get the Superchips Icon Race on Ebay for around £100.
Have one on mine. Best to sort other mods first though to get most benefit from it.
A the moment it's running a standard map for a GTI metro which is a bit more aggressive than the standard 1.4 map.

It has increased performance combined with the other mods, but I'm not sure how it would fare on it's own though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,962 Posts
bert_adamp said:
can you have these on automatics?

6bhp for £300 is alot?

Rover 200
1995 - 2000
Engine type : Non-Turbo Petrol
Engine size : 1589 cm3
Cylinders : 4


Original bhp : 109
Original nm : 145
BHP increase : 6


Price : £293.75
I personally wouldn't bother chipping any non-turbo car.

£300 for only 6bhp, where as a diesel turbo would be £300 for 30bhp!!!!

Save yourself the expense, get a diesel or get a tubo petrol. Far better value for money then.

Cheers
Skelo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
Skelo said:
I personally wouldn't bother chipping any non-turbo car.

£300 for only 6bhp, where as a diesel turbo would be £300 for 30bhp!!!!

Save yourself the expense, get a diesel or get a tubo petrol. Far better value for money then.

Cheers
Skelo
I certainly wouldn't have paid nearly £300 either, but seeing as I got it for £100. I thought why not it all adds up at the end of the day.

Fully enclosed BMC induction kit
Ported manifold/downpipe
Decat
Performance CAT back exhaust
Superchips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,161 Posts
ashy said:
I certainly wouldn't have paid nearly £300 either, but seeing as I got it for £100. I thought why not it all adds up at the end of the day.

Fully enclosed BMC induction kit
Ported manifold/downpipe
Decat
Performance CAT back exhaust
Superchips.
dont the chips decrease the MPG a fair bit?
Ashy, whats a ported manifold and downpipe? and how much does it cost, I'm doing some mods this week: decat, induction kit, back box would i benefit from what you said? cant be bothed with the chip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
plum25 said:
dont the chips decrease the MPG a fair bit?
Ashy, whats a ported manifold and downpipe? and how much does it cost, I'm doing some mods this week: decat, induction kit, back box would i benefit from what you said? cant be bothed with the chip.
Don't believe that balls about increasing MPG. Does it feck. It's no worse nor no better.

Porting the manifold and downpipe is removing the crazy excess welds that Rover saw fit to use on the manifold and downpipe ports.
After the other mods it wouldn't make sense to be restricting the gas flow through the manifold.

See here:
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showpost.php?p=761841&postcount=25
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,962 Posts
plum25 said:
dont the chips decrease the MPG a fair bit?
Ashy, whats a ported manifold and downpipe? and how much does it cost, I'm doing some mods this week: decat, induction kit, back box would i benefit from what you said? cant be bothed with the chip.
For a £100 then yes it is worth a shot. Definitley not for £300 tho.

If a petrol superchip works in the same way as a diesel superchip, the MPG should go down under sensible driving. You will be using the extra torque to overtake instead of having to change gear.

Cheers
Skelo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
Skelo said:
For a £100 then yes it is worth a shot. Definitley not for £300 tho.

If a petrol superchip works in the same way as a diesel superchip, the MPG should go down under sensible driving. You will be using the extra torque to overtake instead of having to change gear.

Cheers
Skelo
The Superchip only advances the timing. Doesn't affect fuelling at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,962 Posts
ashy said:
The Superchip only advances the timing. Doesn't affect fuelling at all.
Sorry, my petrol knowledge is limited. How does that make a difference to an engine? Does the chip increase torque etc?

Can you tell i only drive a diesel???? :lol:

Cheers
Skelo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
Skelo said:
Sorry, my petrol knowledge is limited. How does that make a difference to an engine? Does the chip increase torque etc?

Can you tell i only drive a diesel???? :lol:

Cheers
Skelo
The timing will determine when the fuel is ignited in the chamber. Depending on when the fuel is ignited this can have an effect on how much force the piston pushes down with.
Imagine a push bike pedal. It's hard to push the pedal down when it is more or less at the top. However if you move the pedal down a bit (advance the timing) and then push it, it is much easier and you can put more force behind it.

The timing has to be right for the revs because it has to do with when the fuel starts to burn and how the flame travels and where it stops burning and then the piston starts it's exhaust stroke.
Fine tuning this throughout the rev range can increase performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,962 Posts
ashy said:
The timing will determine when the fuel is ignited in the chamber. Depending on when the fuel is ignited this can have an effect on how much force the piston pushes down with.
Imagine a push bike pedal. It's hard to push the pedal down when it is more or less at the top. However if you move the pedal down a bit (advance the timing) and then push it, it is much easier and you can put more force behind it.

The timing has to be right for the revs because it has to do with when the fuel starts to burn and how the flame travels and where it stops burning and then the piston starts it's exhaust stroke.
Fine tuning this throughout the rev range can increase performance.
Thanks ashy much appreciated.

Cheers
Skelo
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top