MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone else has the same problem, but when ever I put the decat and an induction kit on, for the first day or two the change is noticable i.e. the revs counting up faster, fuel going down quicker etc. After that it seems to level itself out, is this to do with the Rover EMS?

Will a superchip help control this problem?

Cheers

·
Registered
702 Posts
would think a superchip would probably make it "worse", I had a decated Zr160, filter and superchip and was pumping a full tank almost every week, then again i never drove it slowly. if it levels out why play with it, let mems do its thing i guess.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you you do the modifications after the superchip was added?

I'm not 100% but I think it needs to be mapped to the specifactions of the car.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
all a superchip will do the 216 is modify ignition timing.

standard mems will quite happily deal with fast road cams, induction kit and performance exhuast. if you get any more mods than that you would want to replace mems with something else and not chip it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
snellgrc said:
all a superchip will do the 216 is modify ignition timing.

standard mems will quite happily deal with fast road cams, induction kit and performance exhuast. if you get any more mods than that you would want to replace mems with something else and not chip it
Will a chip not adjust the limiter on the revs and also remove the top end limiter?

E.G. When in 5th the rev needle stops dead at 5000 revs and does nothing else, the counter still has about 2 grand left....

·
Registered
702 Posts
does a bit more than that, and yes i did the superchips before the mods, how they did mine was they got a pre mapped rom from a secure superchips site and just replace the factory one with the superchips one. i was there and watched um get it downlaod it and stick it in the car, It also seemed like the engine was eating more fuel and smelt like it too. but yeah Mems is a neat little thing. learning brain of yer car and all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was actually looking at maybe a 'piggy back' setup, so I can connect and disconnect whenever.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sully said:
When in 5th the rev needle stops dead at 5000 revs and does nothing else, the counter still has about 2 grand left....
Plus is it the MEMS which causes the 5 grand peak in 5th?

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
you wont get over that in fifth gear as the engine doesnt have enough torque to get past the friction caused by the wind. You also wont get top speed in fifth for the same reason

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ain't they got a top end of 145mph?
Doubt it - ZRs aren't aerodynamically shaped for top end. Best my dad's mate ever got out of his was 133mph verified on sat nav and engine revs (indicated it was over 140mph)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tom Loughlin said:
Doubt it - ZRs aren't aerodynamically shaped for top end. Best my dad's mate ever got out of his was 133mph verified on sat nav and engine revs (indicated it was over 140mph)
Sorry, I stand corrected, just check parkers, top end is 131. I had the Civic Type R's top end in my head for some reason??

·
Registered
702 Posts
gotta love that vtec simple brutal yet effective :p

tho id love to streamline out my Z next project after my current ones done ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rain said:
gotta love that vtec simple brutal yet effective :p

tho id love to streamline out my Z next project after my current ones done ;)
Yer, she acts more like a turbo than a turbo'd car does these days, when the old' 6 grand band kicks in.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
yea but they are slower 0-60 than its normal counterpart. As the rest of the valves dont come into use until the power band. A normal 16v uses them all the time, am i right?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I dunno id rather pay my money for my gas and floor it when i can cause i got a car that loves to be driven hard and really just sounds really nice at 7K on the rpms :p

I hate seeing Zeds driven all slow and just..tisk such a shame. then again what can you do everyones different :p but yeah i say, if you by a sporty car, make sure you can back it up with the cost of gas cause lests face it, you dont buy a nice sporty car to drive it like a electric wheel chair.

at least i dont...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts