MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Super Shiny Tips! - Nice!

2K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  stu@rt 
#1 ·
Just a little tip I thought I'd share, I was going to buy a stainless exhaust because my tips were corroded and looking really manky. One of the old guys here at work who's dead handy on cars and doesn't believe in expensive cleaning stuff (his car is always immaculate, down to using boot polish instead of back to black!!) showed me the way forward!

Get some of the metal scouring pads (not brillo, the chunkier type) and give them a good scrub, which will remove any of the flaky finish. Keep scrubbing until you have a smooth trim.

Wipe clean and use copius amounts of Autosol, if you roll your cloth you can wrap it round the trim and pull it from side to side, letting the cloth run round the trim itself.

Again, wipe clean and give them a couple of coats of normal car wax (i used Autoglym Super resin) again being pretty generous.

The Result? They're now as shiny as the chromed hood fixings! And they've stayed that way for a fortnight now.

G
#2 ·
STEVEN_NORFIELD said:
Just a little tip I thought I'd share, I was going to buy a stainless exhaust because my tips were corroded and looking really manky. One of the old guys here at work who's dead handy on cars and doesn't believe in expensive cleaning stuff (his car is always immaculate, down to using boot polish instead of back to black!!) showed me the way forward!

Get some of the metal scouring pads (not brillo, the chunkier type) and give them a good scrub, which will remove any of the flaky finish. Keep scrubbing until you have a smooth trim.

Wipe clean and use copius amounts of Autosol, if you roll your cloth you can wrap it round the trim and pull it from side to side, letting the cloth run round the trim itself.

Again, wipe clean and give them a couple of coats of normal car wax (i used Autoglym Super resin) again being pretty generous.

The Result? They're now as shiny as the chromed hood fixings! And they've stayed that way for a fortnight now.
Great tip! Heard someone else suggest using toothpaste for this job too...

Not sure if it would also be a good thing to use but I use ceramic hob cleaner (huge bottle left over when we flogged off our ceramic hob!) on all stainless steel things, from kettles to door knobs...does a fantastic job with no scratching and leaves a glorious shine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.