MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my headlights needed a good cleaning so I took the immense courage to take off the bumper and the headlights and then opening them thanks to hairdryer (modified to do the job of a heatgun)
I then removed the yelloyish plastic crap that makes them look like 80's cars, gave them a good cleanup and here's how they look now, you can see the bulbs!

I had a lot of problems, one of them is the bulbs, they're a royal pain to put back. I'll post more pics later and a quick tutorial if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Tad I'm not sure about your country, but I think you'll find that you need that piece to angle your lights correctly or it'll fail the MOT.

·
Registered
276 Posts
were you drunk when doing this? i was looking @ your lights and thinking hang on the orange is still on the indicatore, scroll down and there....here the peice i took out. BANG bomb shell just landed.lol. YOU def need that in m8 as ashy said there to stop the lights from going in the eyes of the on coming drivers. truely funny.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:D I knew it was for that, but decided to get rid of them anyway, I'll check the lights levels later, if it's really too nasty then I'll put them back in and then have the inner frames sprayed black for consolation as I'm in no way going back to stock look ;)

it looks sweet now, those are camera phone pics, I'll make good photos tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
were you drunk when doing this? i was looking @ your lights and thinking hang on the orange is still on the indicatore, scroll down and there....here the peice i took out. BANG bomb shell just landed.lol. YOU def need that in m8 as ashy said there to stop the lights from going in the eyes of the on coming drivers. truely funny.
my indicators are smocked standard and I like them that way, they're not orange.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Take it to an MOT station and see what they think. The face lift cars dont have the plastic deflectors in. They do have a little cone that you could retro fit and I think that would make them leagal. But take it and see what they think. But I rekon you might be putting them back in at some stage.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have no problem with MOT around here, I'm not in the UK, it's much less strict. I was just thinking about the poor people driving inf ront of me at night.
we'll see, I can always set the lights level manually, I don't think I'll have to put those plastics back, as you said yourself, newer cars don't have those anyway.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
I have no problem with MOT around here, I'm not in the UK, it's much less strict. I was just thinking about the poor people driving inf ront of me at night.
we'll see, I can always set the lights level manually, I don't think I'll have to put those plastics back, as you said yourself, newer cars don't have those anyway.
It's not the level you need to worry about it's the angle of the light. The light will now be non directional and will likely be much weaker and wider spread.

·
Registered
919 Posts
ashy is right... newer cars dont have the filter in front of the bulb (the piece u removed) but have a cap in front of the bulb that reflects the light onto the back of the headlamp which is shaped to disperse the light properly

as yours now has no filter whatsoever, your headlamp beam should theoretically be pants :)

looks nice though.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
true new cars have a small reflector caps in front of the bulbs. I might add those caps instead of putting back the yuky plastic if my lights don't do the job as they are now. That'll be another suday torture mod :)

the high beam doesn't have caps and no plastic mask and it still lights pretty well, so we'll see, I'm pretty sure my lights are fine as they are. (cross fingers)

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
I take it you'll be out testing the light when it fall dark?
Apart from that it's coming along nicely, very smart.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you're right ashy, the plastic deflectors will have to go back in.
it lights like the high beam right now, visibility is fine but it's not very nice to the other motorists.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts