MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Report in Sunday Express suggests MG Rover's Powertrain engine plant in Longbridge, Birmingham, will close next January with the loss of 1,200 jobs

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
I can see them doing R&D with the cast and assebly processes being off shored. But this is purely speculation on my side (and probably theirs).

·
Registered
440 Posts
I really hope this isn't true. Otherwise some of the suggestions about the deal coming from the press seem to be looking more truthful the nearer we get.

I can understand doing castings elsewhere, but I'm not sure I agree with shipping the whole thing abroad.

G

·
I don't think this is quite right at the G-Series diesel is to be built there.

The Powertrain section of Longbridge is the only section on which the land/building has not been sold and leased back - why?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I heard a rumour of rumour making last week, but that could just be a rumour...

Thing is, I wouldn't be suprised to see some jobs going, but when Longbridge start making more cars again - especially when the new cars start coming on line - they're going to have to employ more people again to build the engines again.

I would be very suprised if all engine production moved out of the UK, although some of the parts could well be imported back into the UK.

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
the powertrain part of longbridge was possibly owned by BMW at the time the rest of the site was sold and leased back.

G

·
No Powertrain was given to MGR in the BMW settlement of mid 2001. The land sale took place I think late 2003/early 2004

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
its ********, powertrain aren't going anywhere. The K *may*be going to China but the diesel and KV6 won't be.

Yet more 'tea leaves' journalism I'm afraid.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I heard that The Express Newspapers are going to move their printing to Indonesia, and close the London editorial office and move it it Bangalor. They've got great English out there.

Of course, this might not be true, it's just what I 'heard'.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Moving engine production to China, doesn't mean they will stop producing engines in Longbridge. Would it make sense to ship them back, halfway round the world? They're pretty bulky, and it would take ages.

The Chinese are quite clear that they want to be more than a CKD outfit, so of course they will want to build engines too.

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
At the end of the day, the press know little more than we do. In fact, they possibly know less. The finer points of this deal are known only by the Phoenix 4 and their consultants. Nobody else. And given that PVH is a privately owned company, until they decide differently, things will not be any different.

But hey, why let a lack of knowledge get in the way of selling newspapers?

Incidentally, anyone ever notice that when its a slow news day, a 'source' has a habit of coming along? ;)

John

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Incidentally, anyone ever notice that when its a slow news day, a 'source' has a habit of coming along?
What, like that HP Tomato Source that MG-Rover have covered over the MG TF in their visitor centre, you mean?

·
Registered
cityrover
1,854 Posts
I haven't got my copy any more :O but IIRC it was reported that the new common-rail diesel engines will still be produced here, but the entire K-series (inc. V6) production will be moved to China.

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Report in Sunday Express suggests MG Rover's Powertrain engine plant in Longbridge, Birmingham, will close next January with the loss of 1,200 jobs

Seriously though, things are looking up. The Sunday Distress are now giving Powertrain 6 months more than they gave the entire group in 2001 ;)

John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts