MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being fanciful I know, but is there a British engineering company in existence that could buy MGR - perhaps from the receivers if and when it comes to it - and make a success of it? More a question, I suppose, of is there a successful British engineering company at all, let alone one that could take on a slimmed-down MGR?! Come on, there must be someone in this diseased land...

How are JCB doing these days?

Anyone else?

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
After much deliberation, there is only one company that I could think of that I'd want to see take over MGR........ VW.

Yep, the people's car company are the only ones who have shown any real ability over the years to take a company like MGR and turn it around whilst still allowing them their own identity.

VW have saved Audi, Seat, Skoda as well as also probably saving Bentley from disappearing. They have the money, technology, and most importantly there isn't much against them really.... they're no BMW in terms of business.
Apart from Audi, they have no other prestige brand to speak of and I'm sure Rover could work wonders with the Golf platform and make good desirable cars..... and maybe even the Phaeton platform could be adapted by Rover into a practical sellable car.

·
Registered
mg_zs
544 Posts
Got to ask, what have MG Rover got to offer VAG? SEAT covers the sporty "MG" market, VW cover the cooking range, AUDI cover the prestige market and Skoda are the 'budget' range. I can't see a gap Rover could cover in their portfolio..

Sherwood.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
MG fits into the sporty range and has its own unique cars to bring along - ie. TF. Besides, not many people are comfortable buying a SEAT for some unfathomable reason, whereas I'm sure the MG would do better - certainly would do better in USA than SEAT would.
Audi are the prestige makes however are fairly expensive for what they are - Rover could quite nicely slot in between VW and Audi.

·
Registered
mg_zs
544 Posts
SEAT are comming on leaps and bounds, I think the TT and formerly the Beetle covered the niche car market very well indeed. VAG are doing extremely well and adding Rover between VW and AUDI (not THAT big a gap between them as it stands) I believe would cost more to enable than they'd gain in the long run.

I cannot think of a single, current mass market car manufacturer that would have the remotest of interests with aquiring MG Rover.. Apart from SAIC whom I presume are still watching very closely.

Sherwood.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Yep, I know, long shot, but one can hope. I'd rather VW than SAIC got their hands on it. I can't help but have this feeling that SAIC should get burned...... horribly.

Where's Sir Michael Edwardes when you need him...... he'd have a solution.

·
Registered
mg_zs
544 Posts
Unfortunatly I don't think whats left of MG Rover is worth touching to any of the big players who are succeeding. It'll take an outside party to do something. Wheres Richard Branson when you need him?! ;)

Can't blame SAIC for the current situation, they had a set of terms they were willing to play by. If those terms couldn't be met, it isn't their fault. Afterall, SAIC have got to look after their own interests first and foremost.

Sherwood.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Hmmmm..... Virgin Rover......... nahhhhhh.

And to be honest I think SAIC have backed out for other reasons as well. The fact that they have a large manufacturing surplus is not good.

·
Registered
mg_zs
544 Posts
I'm fairly sure we haven't seen the last of SAIC. They were obviously very interested to have stuck around for so long, for all that interest to completely dissapate over something like this doesn't seem realistic. I still believe they are waiting and watching. Afterall, why pay a dying man for his boots when you can have them when hes down?

Sherwood.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Sherwood said:
I'm fairly sure we haven't seen the last of SAIC. They were obviously very interested to have stuck around for so long, for all that interest to completely dissapate over something like this doesn't seem realistic. I still believe they are waiting and watching. Afterall, why pay a dying man for his boots when you can have them when hes down?

Sherwood.
That's the thing, I would be most dissatisfied if they got Rover for nothing by stalling. I'd be happy and pi$$ed at the same time, but mainly pi$$ed.
At least the dying man can leave a will stopping you getting his boots. Is such a think possible for a company???

·
Registered
mg_zs
544 Posts
If it is a case of literally no more money and administration is the only option, the man won't have a will, just lots of 'offspring' wanting their money. To raise that, things will be sold off.

If it goes into administration it'll be a case of best offer wins, and I can't see too much competition piling in and pushing the price up.. Bye, bye BMW loan, bye, bye Longbridge, hello L-series et al.

Sherwood.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I imagine it's unlikely but I would like to see Honda back in the picture. It's a profitable company with a good reputation and yet still only has two brands - Honda and Acura. It's rivals Toyota (owning Toyota, Lexus and Scion) and Nissan (Nissan, Renault, Samsung, Dacia) are growing steadily so perhaps Honda would seek to restablish old ties?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mr Towers tried Honda first-off, but you couldn't expect them to be interested after the way they were treated. It was worth trying, but Japanese people value trust and honour, and BAe treated them badly.

They are profitable, but they were treated badly.

Actually, a Japanese company would never have acted like SAIC did.

I think VW would be perfect, too. After all, that twerp Piedestricher is now head of VAG now, and if anyone could make a go of the business, he could. :eyes:

G

·
JohnSwitzer said:
In times past, Lord Weinstock I am sure would have had a trick or two up his sleeve... :(

John
Considering the way that Lord Weinstock ran GEC Marconi, I would rather Gerald Ratner run MGR!

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
iaan said:
Mr Towers tried Honda first-off, but you couldn't expect them to be interested after the way they were treated. It was worth trying, but Japanese people value trust and honour, and BAe treated them badly.

They are profitable, but they were treated badly.

Actually, a Japanese company would never have acted like SAIC did.

I think VW would be perfect, too. After all, that twerp Piedestricher is now head of VAG now, and if anyone could make a go of the business, he could. :eyes:
Actually, while at BMW Piedestricher didn't really do anything to screw over Rover, it was his successors. And I wouldn't really call him a twerp..... not with how VW are at the moment.

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Considering the way that Lord Weinstock ran GEC Marconi

Personally, I thought he did a rather good job at GEC... just a shame what his successors did though :irked: My only criticism would have been he had too much money in the bank.

John

G

·
Barossa said:
Nissan (Nissan, Renault, Samsung, Dacia) are growing steadily
remember that Renault are the dominant partner here. Until Renault took a controlling interest in Nissan, the Japanese firm were deeply in the pooh!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Richard Moss said:
Considering the way that Lord Weinstock ran GEC Marconi, I would rather Gerald Ratner run MGR!
????
He turned it into a huge defence & manufacturing conglomerate employing thousands. Are you thinking of Lord Simpson, his successor, who took a profitable company with a cash mountain and pissed it up against the wall marked "telecomms bubble" and then took a multi-milion pound payoff to go away and play golf?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts