MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my wifes' '97 VVC MGF (47k miles) for an MOT today - which it flew through - and on the way back noticed that the clutch pedal has suddenly developed a problem. The first 2 inches or so of the travel have no resistance and doesn't feel as if it is pumping any fluid - then it goes back to normal through the remainder of the pedal travel with the biting point almost at the floor now.

I've got a fair idea of the possible causes - air in the hydraulic system, shagged m/c or slave, shagged release bearing but has anybody got any pointers if they have come across this before?

And what does the clutch damper, which is only fitted to the VVC models, do?

Ta muchly...

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Can't help you much with your problem sorry.
The clutch damper's effect is to press the fluid slower forwards and backwards through the pipes. It is an heritage from the 820 and they often failed... became leaky and sucked air into the system.

Here's a sheet showing some infos:
http://www.mgfcar.de/clutch/vvcdamper.pdf

Dunno if that helps you actually, only wanted to share a bit of knowledge posted by other people in another mg-forum.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
I would think master cylinder seals. If you have recently bled the system then air may be a problem, but if you haven't then there is no reason that air should be in the fluid.

·
Registered
mgf
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Other than the biting point now being low and the free play in the pedal there is no noticable difference in clutch performance...

Looking through the "manual whose name must not be mentioned but rhymes with cave" there doesn't appear to be any form of adjusting screw or end stop on the slave cylinder - just a non adjustable linkage?

The fluid level in m/c reservoir doesn't appear to have dropped and as this happened suddenly I'm not sure it could be a slave cylinder seal problem.

I'm going to bleed the system and see what good that does - trouble is to actually look at the pedal to m/c linkage you've either got to be a circus midget, a contortionist or you've got to remove the bloody drivers seat...

... and when I was removing the cover to acces the m/c I by chance found that the spare wheel retaining screw is corroded in place.... starting to feel like Marvin the Paranoid Android...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Took my wifes' '97 VVC MGF (47k miles) for an MOT today - which it flew through - and on the way back noticed that the clutch pedal has suddenly developed a problem. The first 2 inches or so of the travel have no resistance and doesn't feel as if it is pumping any fluid - then it goes back to normal through the remainder of the pedal travel with the biting point almost at the floor now.

I've got a fair idea of the possible causes - air in the hydraulic system, shagged m/c or slave, shagged release bearing but has anybody got any pointers if they have come across this before?

And what does the clutch damper, which is only fitted to the VVC models, do?

Ta muchly...
It sounds like what I'm trying to sort out now, see this ->http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=190675

If you do need a slave cylinder don't go to X Parts they'll charge you £67 and you'l have to wait 2 day for it to come, I got mine from UNIPART for £44.65 & they got it for me with'in 2 hrs (I still thought it was a bit price'y) that was the cheapest I could find.

I'm just having bleeding problems now, I'v bled it at the master cylinder 1st but it's slow in getting through to the slave cylinder 'any tips anyone?':dunno:

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
I have just developed this clucth problem too... :irked: is this "a get it fixed RIGHT NOW cos the clutch will suddenly stop working" jobbie... or more a 'slow burner' that will gradually get worse over time?...

·
Registered
mg_tf
916 Posts
I have just developed this clucth problem too... :irked: is this "a get it fixed RIGHT NOW cos the clutch will suddenly stop working" jobbie... or more a 'slow burner' that will gradually get worse over time?...
hi,

if you've got the same problem as mine, it went in half an hour or so, sorry!!

stu

·
Registered
mgf
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Latest update...

Used my vaccuum bleeder to drain all of the original fluid and replace with new through the slave cylinder bleed nipple - pedal felt exactly the same.

Drained all new fluid and removed slave cylinder - pedal felt exactly the same.

Removed m/c and found the m/c piston is sticking in the bore and not returning fully - the free play in the pedal was the plunger moving up to meet the piston sitting further up the m/c bore.

New m/c (genuine AP lockheed) ordered - £68 - but won't be available until Tuesday morning... Fortunately the weather isn't looking great for top down motoring so my wife is only on background winging levels about having to drive my diesel estate astra!

One thing I noticed during the investigation was that the fluid left in the damperner was full of black detritus - possibly the seals in the m/c disintegrating?

Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.