MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a spare tyre or tools in my rear wheel bay so I was thinking of filling it with a nice big sub if it's was possible? I just wanted to know if its worth doing? will it sound decent? how much it should cost and how to do it? I fancyed getting a 15" if it will fit in the spare tyre space and a pair of 10 or 12 inch subs either side in the boot. I've got a 214 si btw.

·
Registered
140 Posts
alright mate, im not sure my self how to do it, but i think it will be good idea, the only problem will be the wires mainly, part from that i would find out how to do it, and fit it in, seams good idea, good luck onit LOL

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
I would've thought a 15" sub would fit fine in there, would probably mount onto a false floor made of mdf.. not sure how it'd play though..

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
you have to do a false floor with MDF and cover the wheel well with a few layers of sound deadening. or make a box the shape of the footwell with fiberglass.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
first of all, its worth mentioning that quality will always win over quantity if you're after anything other than a competition car

with careful selection, 1x15" sub will provide more quality and dbs than 3 lower priced subs, when you add another sub, you dont double the bass, you probably wont even increase it by 50%

with regards to the wheel well, yes its very possible, the best route would be a custom fibreglass box, built with the correct internal diameter for the sub you have chosen

you can fashion an MDF floor, and sit the sub into it, but it wont be properly enclosed and unless you spend megabucks you wont achieve the same result as a sealed enclosure

for information, my wheelwell box was made using hundreds of pounds worth of materials and many man hours by fellow .orger mulletboy2

pics can be found here

its a coupe but you get the idea

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats the look I was thinking of going for. it really looks good mate you've done a great job not over the top but still looking great. I think I'm gonna leave the idea of the sub in the wheel bay til I get my zr and just go for the one sub and mono amp just for the mean time. 6x9's nearly give enough bass for me anyway well at least they did til one of them went funny :( think it had something to do with leaving it with aload of screws stuck to it til I put it in this car or maybe it flying out the back window into a bush when I crash did it lol.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
no worries

it took alot of work and money to make it look that subtle believe me!

if you're gonna do something do it right I say, best to register over at www.talkaudio.co.uk have a good mooch around the tutorials, see what the concensus is on various products and what works well together, whats best for your musical tastes and go from there :)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I've done various sub in the spare wheel bay installations... geeza's is a solid box that can be removed from the car, but it's possible to do one with a lot less time/effort if you don't care about getting it out later.

This entire boot install (including led's all around the perspex) took less time than geeza's box alone:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts