MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

why don´t you Britains, Austrailians and others not switch to "normal" RHD and the metric system?

I understand that it is somehow part of your identity but wouldn´t it simplify things a little bit?

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
timekiller said:
Hello,

why don´t you Britains, Austrailians and others not switch to "normal" RHD and the metric system?

I understand that it is somehow part of your identity but wouldn´t it simplify things a little bit?

Thanks for your replies.

Its not part of our identity at all. We have switched to metric in all area's. Driving on the correct side of the road will always be done here and the continent can stay where it is on the other side of the English channel.

The continent is good for two things, cheap **** and booze but they all drive on the wrong side of the road and have no driving savvy at all. Ever driven in Paris? :lol:

·
Registered
446 Posts
timekiller said:
Hello,

Thanks for your replies.
Appropriately named thread.

Quite a lot of cars are made by Japanese companies where people drive RHD cars on the correct side of the road.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
timekiller said:
Hello,

Thanks for your replies.
What kind of question is that? I think we'll do what you want thank you very much! None of the EU Invasio... Sorry Induction for us thank you very much...

What colour pants are you wearing today BTW?

G

·
Although there are more LHD cars on the roads (such as USA and most of Europe) there are probably just as many countries with RHD like us, Auz, NZ, China, most of SE Asia, India etc.

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,322 Posts
Richard Moss said:
Although there are more LHD cars on the roads (such as USA and most of Europe) there are probably just as many countries with RHD like us, Auz, NZ, China, most of SE Asia, India etc.

And when the chinese srart to buy all those lovely MGR cars there will be another 1.5billion of us driving on this side of the road :twak2:

IVAN

·
Registered
984 Posts
timekiller said:
Hello,

Thanks for your replies.
Huh???

Australia's been metric since 1978! Why don't you Germans use the PROPER metric way of measuring power like we do with kilowatts instead of the silly Pferdstaerke where 1 PS is equivalent to 736 watts - itself a metric unit? Hello? I thought metric's supposed to be a decimal unit which measures in the 100s and 1000s!

As for LHD, who in his right mind would want to change gears with your dominant right hand when it should be holding the wheel? See here the Yanks have worked out in the 30s it just doesn't work and that's why they invented automatic transmission :=p: :=p:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Roodosutaa said:
Huh???

Australia's been metric since 1978! Why don't you Germans use the PROPER metric way of measuring power like we do with kilowatts instead of the silly Pferdstaerke where 1 PS is equivalent to 736 watts - itself a metric unit? Hello? I thought metric's supposed to be a decimal unit which measures in the 100s and 1000s!

As for LHD, who in his right mind would want to change gears with your dominant right hand when it should be holding the wheel? See here the Yanks have worked out in the 30s it just doesn't work and that's why they invented automatic transmission :=p: :=p:
The old british measuring system was better anyway. Think about it, metric uses a correlation between the number base and the number of digits on our hands. In other words, Europeans need their fingers and toes to help them count.

Using measuring systems that avoid base 10 requires a bit more mental effort at first but then becomes second nature. This extra effort during the early years of learning served to give greater exercise to the young mind and produced a stronger cerebral muscle. Hence the situation of the decline of the UK since the adoption of metric units.

It's interesting how English dominates as the common language and Europeans are all at least bilingual whereas the British usually aren't. As the metric system dominates as common measurement units, British people such as myself are equally comfortable working with both systems and can instantly perform mental conversions.

The metric system and the whole EU is part of a Franco-German plot achieve the domination of europe by stealth, both countries having repeatedly failed to do it militarily. Once the outer fringes of europe are subdued, all that will be left is to fight it out between themselves.

For anybody thinking about having a go, this is meant to be a facetious post. :bgrin2:

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
All of the countries that drive on the left hand lane were formerly part of the British Empire, thankfully they have retained our sensible, correct way of driving but in all other areas they have made a complete hash of things !

Since we left they've done nothing but fight.

BRING BACK THE BRITISH EMPIRE AND RESTORE ORDER TO THE WORLD !

·
Registered
446 Posts
*DLN* said:
All of the countries that drive on the left hand lane were formerly part of the British Empire,
Japan wasn't. It suprises me that Japan drive on the left, given that the country was reconstructed by Americans after WWII to prevent any possibility of it going commie. They installed American broadcasting, I am suprised they didn't change the cars over.

Sweden were never part of the British Empiure but they changed overnight in about 1969.

G

·
When (if) we do change we need to phase it in slowly. Cars ones day, trucks the next, buses and bikes the day after. That should smooth the transition!

·
Registered
192 Posts
hahahah so what happends when all the trucks and buses are still on the right hand side and all the cars are on the left lol! its a bit like putting petrol in the washing macheine! lol itll work kinda but cant be good!

·
Registered
637 Posts
DOesnt the whole idea of us driving on the left come from the days of horseriding and swordsmen? Majority of people are right handed, so when they draw their swords the sword is on the right hand side- therefore it makes total sense to be on left hand side of the road for sword fighting purposes! If we were on the right hand side of the road both swordsmen would awkwardly be stretching over to their left hand side to have their sword fight. Makes perfect sense to me anyway :fim: .

·
Registered
446 Posts
paul.foran said:
DOesnt the whole idea of us driving on the left come from the days of horseriding and swordsmen? Majority of people are right handed, so when they draw their swords the sword is on the right hand side- therefore it makes total sense to be on left hand side of the road for sword fighting purposes! If we were on the right hand side of the road both swordsmen would awkwardly be stretching over to their left hand side to have their sword fight. Makes perfect sense to me anyway :fim: .
Ah, that explains why the USA drive on the right, because they use a six-shooter and holster instead of a sword. Although in England the sword has been replaced by a single middle finger or a Nescafe advert.

I some European countries two hands are used, one to make a fist, the other placed in the crook of the elbow.

Doesn't explain the French though, must be just them being awkward as usual. French built helicopter rotors rotate the opposite direction to USA ones, quite important to because the effects of gyroscopic precession means that the reflexes that a pilot must train into himself to fly are reversed.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Actually just looked higher up the thread and MikeWiltshire has put a link in about us being on ther left- jousting knights etc! I knew it was something like that!

Im a left hooker so looks like I'd be better off in France drinking an espresso.

Never knew that about the rotor blades - interesting fact that. Ill use that one in furture!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts