MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 214 mk3 isnt lowered, however if i banged a strut brace in there, is it going to help the handling at all, or is it something to only be used if youve got it lowered otherwise its pointless? cheers

john

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
No mate my advice would be still to bang one in. Just because its lowered, the front end still twists about a bit on corners and stuff.

Ive put one on and its really tightened the front end up :D

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
186 Posts
Sorry I disagree there, I have put a strut brace on a non lowered coupe and the handling has improved in a big way. Before it was fitted I got the feeling the only wheels touching the road were the fronts, and this was when I went into a corner a bit quick and felt lots of understeer.

After I put a brace on the front I can feel what the rear end is doing in a nice tight bend cos the front is solid wherever I point it (within reason obviously).

I'd advise fitting one

HTH

Alan

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
coupe - mk3 200. Different cars. same front end though. I can't see it helping. You might as well spend the money on getting the car lower to the ground.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
only thing im thinkin.... to lower my car i mite aswel bend over infront of my insurance company and say 'come on then big boy, and bring your friend' howver i duno if i have to declaire the strut brace.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
186 Posts
You will have to declare the strut brace, extra cost depends entirely on your insurer, the costs vary a hell of a lot from one insurance company to another. May be worth phoning them and asking 'what if' to lowering/ strut brace. See what they say.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My mate put a srut brace on his vvc coupe. It wasn't lowered and he said it stiffened the front end up loads......... then that evening he rolled it :banghead: :(

Also you can buy strut braces for about £50, To lower the car even cheaply will cost you double that. Get one and see what you think and if you don't like it sell it.

sam

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
186 Posts
sam w said:
My mate put a srut brace on his vvc coupe. It wasn't lowered and he said it stiffened the front end up loads......... then that evening he rolled it :banghead: :(

Also you can buy strut braces for about £50, To lower the car even cheaply will cost you double that. Get one and see what you think and if you don't like it sell it.

sam
Thats where my "within reason" comment is valid, if you think a brace or lowering will make you invincible then you are in for a fall as your mate found out.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
johntheboy said:
only thing im thinkin.... to lower my car i mite aswel bend over infront of my insurance company and say 'come on then big boy, and bring your friend' howver i duno if i have to declaire the strut brace.
How much will that lower the insurance? :bgrin:

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Not forgetting the VVC Coupe is already sitting on lower and stiffer springs than the MkIII's ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hay. What tyres are you running. If there not top notch change them before fitting that strut brace. A good set of tyres even on your 14" steels can transform a car completely.

·
Registered
16,045 Posts
Yup, I agree, I have my car on LEDA springs & dampers with an OMP strut-brace, and yeah the handling was good with my old tyres, however when I replaced my tyres with Goodyear Eagle F1s the difference was unreal. No point in having a great suspension set up with crap tyres - instead of the car flexing it will just slide into the nearest wall.

But back to the original point, I had my strut brace on with the standard ZR suspension and yes it did tighten up the front a lot, so for £50 it might be a reasonably inexpensive way of improve your car's handling. Give it a go! :bgrin:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
think ill give the insurance company a ring and see how much itl cost me, thanks for all the advice and any more comments would be welcome!!

cheers john

1 - 14 of 14 Posts