MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My day turned to custard again today,
I had a Rat test to find i had Covid, doesnt feel like any thing more than cold.
Any way, i thought i would take the wheels off the F and give them a clean both sides and check the brakes.
Wish i hadn't looked now, every wheel nut feels like its stripped and/or wrong threaded nuts, of the few i took off, the studs looked in a mess !,!
Question: can i use a regular mag nut with a conical seat or am i doomed to more of the same, with those silly covered nuts ?
What studs are they, are they some thing common every were ?
Im a little afraid to drive it now.
And xmas is coming quickly to get parts from the UK before then ?

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
The threads feel stripped, or they are stripped? - there is a considerable difference.

Some photos and dimensions would help us all.

Reactions: D4KGP

·
Registered
97 BRG MGF. 2009 SKODA SUPERB.
488 Posts
I had a Rat test to find i had Covid, doesnt feel like any thing more than cold.
Any way, i thought i would take the wheels off the F and give them a clean both sides and check the brakes.
Wish i hadn't looked now, every wheel nut feels like its stripped and/or wrong threaded nuts, of the few i took off, the studs looked in a mess !,!
Question: can i use a regular mag nut with a conical seat or am i doomed to more of the same, with those silly covered nuts ?
Hi, I bought some solid nuts from ebay ie: no flimsy cover on them, excellent product! Check out: pe16carparts 08 on ebay for more info. Regards. D4KGP

·
Registered
97 BRG MGF. 2009 SKODA SUPERB.
488 Posts
Should of said before, if the studs are thread bare or knackered you will need new ones!! Regards. D4KGP.

·
Registered
mg_tf
190 Posts
I agree with D4KGP I also have a set of the solid wheel nuts. I always felt like the caps on the originals were far too easy to damage and eventually fall off. If the studs are damaged, it's not the end of the world replacements are easy to fit and to be honest I got some replacements from the breaker's yard as some of mine were a bit chewed, the previous owner loved to do everything murder tight even if it was cross threaded.😖

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
408 Posts
The studs are FAM8419 and shared with the MG Maestro (maybe other models?), the wheel nuts are M12x1.5, 33mm long with a 60 degree taper, conical's are not advisable as they will not fully seat and can crack the wheels. The length if you use open nuts as opposed to closed is not critical, but if closed must be long enough for the taper to seat properly.
I would hope you could find suitable wheel nuts locally, the studs ? you could try MG/SAIC dealers they made the last TF's and you may get lucky, probably a lot cheaper (and quicker) than sourcing from the UK.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Iv just ordered a full set of wheel nuts specified for a MGF.
Probably wont get them for a few weeks.
How dificult is it to get the hubs off ? i still need to address the issues with the studs.
I haven't looked at all the studs, but the nuts were very tite on the studs and a couple were looking pretty ugly.
Should i try to get away with just replacing the worst, or just spend the bucks and replace all ?
Are the studs a common size ?

·
Registered
mg_tf
190 Posts
Yeah, any thought the studs are chewed or messed up change. They knock out easy enough and fit new ones by pushing through as square as possible and then put socket over and use a nut to pull to finish off seating

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I entend to replace all studs,
are they a common size, i have looked around but all the ones iv seen seem a lot longer.

How long is the correct length, and were can i buy a set with out getting ripped off on postage costs?
One place i found was going to charge me $426nzd !!

I should be able to get something local, but i don't want to take it all apart with out having the new ones on hand to finish the job.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I asked a couple of wreckers, but it was more than they are worth to take the hubs off and press off the studs
I got a new full set of new studs and and nuts from uk,
only took less than two weeks , but now i have get around to doing the job…..🤔

1 - 16 of 16 Posts