MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My F makes a strange whirring/chirping noise at 1500-1700 rpm. This only happens once the engine has warmed up, after 20 minutes or so. The noise seems to come from somewhere behind my right ear. I took it to the garage, but they "found nothing". I suspect they didn't run the engine for long enough to warm up. Has anyone experienced this? I don't think it's a big issue, but it's irritating. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
OK, that's anybodys guess - rev/resonant frequency and heat/expansion related. My first port of call would be the exhaust system & heat shield.

·
Registered
mgf
223 Posts
My F makes a strange whirring/chirping noise at 1500-1700 rpm. This only happens once the engine has warmed up, after 20 minutes or so. The noise seems to come from somewhere behind my right ear. I took it to the garage, but they "found nothing". I suspect they didn't run the engine for long enough to warm up. Has anyone experienced this? I don't think it's a big issue, but it's irritating. Thanks!

Bizzarly enough, I've had the same thing since I had the alternator belt changed. You only get a whiring noise as you pulling off. It seems to have died down a bit.... still get it slightly.... but it was very noticable after having it first changed.

I'm trying to remember if it quietened down after I had my HG repaired. Do they remove the alternator belt for HG repairs?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,997 Posts
It can be too tight with possible damage to the barring in the pullys or alternator, and it would be more likely to snap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts