MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All , My first post.
i have a 93 214 sli 120, ooo miles which up till a week ago ran great. then the temp gauge went up so i stopped and noticed water gushing out of header tank.
To cut a long story short, it was the water pump.
That was changed but on returning the car, the following morning it was a pain to start .it eventually started but idles roughly or just cuts out
it never did it before changing the w.p. but now idles terrible. If you rev it it goes fine over 2,000 rpm no probs, but slowing down and engaging the clutch makes it stall.
I am in Spain and don´t have access to diagnostic machines.
I´ve read various posts on temp sensors and the like i dont know what the mechanic touched and why suddenly it is doing this.
All suggestions will be accepted chhers
Pat in sunny Spain

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Is the idle still rough when warm?

If so - I'd check the cam timing. To replace the water pump, the belt has to come off (and it should be replace with a new one!) If one of the cams are a tooth out (one notch on the cam belt), the idle will be poor, and the performance will be down.

If the idele stetlles down, I'd check oil and water. Oil should be oilly (and not mayo like - white). Water should be anti-freeze colour and not have oil on the surface. If either the oil or water is contaminated - it might(!) me a head gasket problem. If the car has overheated (due to a dead water pump) the head gasket might have failed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the idle is rough cold or hot. No oil in water or water in oil!
I took throttle body off yesterday cleaned it up along with potentiometer and the circular motor thing (sorry don´t know name) built into the casing. it now doesn´t cut out so often.
it has full power once past 1500 rpm or so so I don´t think cam is out.
if i disconnect blue sensor at back of engine which i think goes to crank sensor engine dies straight away. so i imagine thats ok , but when i disconect the temp sensor to ecu (not gauge sender) nothing happens no change in engine beat, so it could be faulty? also disconnecting the throttle body sensor thingy there is no change in engine note either.
Thanks Pat

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Im guessing it a few teeth out.Dont use the crank pully for the 90 deg BTDC mark use the crank drive gear.There is two dots line that gear BANG on with the raised rib on the oil pump housing its 12 o'clock.You want some picys?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts