MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... Over the weekend I decided to check my brakes as the rear right hand brake has been rubbing (constantly, but it increases in noise when I actually brake). Another strange symptom is that the handbrake light comes on quite a bit whilst driving.

So I get it on axle stands and have a look underneath....
I was very surprised to find that the left hand brake mechanism had actually almost seized on. We started to get this moving slightly after smothring it in grease, leaving it for an hour and then hitting with a hammer (gently!) Although it still would not release fully.

Eventually we kind of gave up in the hope that it had helped enough to stop the rubbing and continual hand brake light after every bump. But after getting it on the road it was just the same...

The thing i find weird is the fact that it is the passenger side caliper that appears to have the handbrake stuck on, yet the right side which is squeaking!?!

PLEASE HELP!
Thanks!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,999 Posts
The left one, and remove the right one and check that the inner pad isn't worn down, if it's not then put the pads back in with a coating of copper slip on the non-fiction surface of the pad.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,999 Posts
Hot brakes!

Odd how things happen driving from work without warning my off side rear brake decided to stick on, if I had driven anymore then the 6 miles home there would have been more of a fire as the paint on the pads was well alight but I let it burn it self out as I didn’t want to put cold water on a hot disk.

After letting the wheel cool down so I could remove it I round that the pads had bonded then selves to the disk, in the end afar much hammering I have managed to free the calliper and pads then strip and clean and it seems to be working again.

The friction part of the pads looks OK although they are now black stuff instead of green stuff; my concern is that the disk is now blue in colure and could be warped but that may have been the fading light.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,999 Posts
It doesn't look so blue this morning (sounds like a song), I am going to have another proper look at the weekend in daylight.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,999 Posts
Yeah i seem to be having the same problem i think, when im braking there is a horrible crinding noise at the back right disk.
That sounds more like pad thickness, there is a metal rubbing strip that contacts the disk when the inner pad needs changing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had the same problem with mine at the wk end pad worn to the metal due to hand brake mech seized managed to free it up , even so the return spring still doesnt seem man enough to return the mechanism fully .

Anyone know if there's any way of freeing it up any more - is it related to the the fact that the hand brake lever wont quite return to down position therefore the HB light stays on

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,999 Posts
The handbrake light problem can usually be sorted by adjusting the handbrake lever. If you open the centre arm rest and then remove the tray, you will now be able to see the nut at the end of the mechanism. Tighten this nut up (a ratchet spanner helps), do a few turns at a time and check to see if it is helping.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jimmer.... EXACTLY the same prob as mine. That spring is sh*te, isn't it (well one of mine is anyway!).

I think it may be a case of dimantelling the caliper as when the caliper is on the disk you can't access it properly to take a look where the bit from the spring enters the caliper....?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hoped To Avoid Removing The Caliper

But In This Case I Looks Like I Might Need To I Guess That Will Mean Bleeding The Brakes After ?

However Will Try As Chris T Says To Tighten Hb Tension Anyway

Anyone Wanna Look After 4 Kids @ Wk End!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts