MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
classic_rover
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Spirit 2l TD has been running fine now for two weeks, but there is this strange metalic rattling sound when in 3rd or 4th gear. Its fine when cruising on moterway, but when I need to drop down a gear to go up a hill, at certain revs / speed, this rattle appears for a few seconds. At first I thought it was coming from the engine, but when i placed my hand on the gearstick and held it, the rattle stopped. This is un-noticable when the radio is on as its not a loud noise, It just seems to be like two bits of metal vibrating off each other down in the gearbox somewhere at certain revs.

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
My Spirit 2l TD has been running fine now for two weeks, but there is this strange metalic rattling sound when in 3rd or 4th gear. Its fine when cruising on moterway, but when I need to drop down a gear to go up a hill, at certain revs / speed, this rattle appears for a few seconds. At first I thought it was coming from the engine, but when i placed my hand on the gearstick and held it, the rattle stopped. This is un-noticable when the radio is on as its not a loud noise, It just seems to be like two bits of metal vibrating off each other down in the gearbox somewhere at certain revs.

Any ideas ?
Could be just linkages rattling a bit, and gets the right resonance to vibrate in those gears.

Cheers
Skelo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts