MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi I've recently purchased a 2004 TF 135 in trophy blue, i has a strange sound that i just cant put my finger on.

whilst driving, and sometimes in neutral with the engine running, there is what i can best describe as a single metallic ping, say 30 - 45 seconds in between. it sounds like its coming from the engine bay over my left shoulder, however past experience has taught me that noises in cars can travel

has anyone had this themselves?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,156 Posts
Could be you have something loose within the engine bay which sometimes knocks against something else, not sure if it would be something to be worried about but would suggest taking off the engine inspection cover and running the engine whilst standing over the engine bay to see if you can pinpoint the "ping" as you mention you have heard it when stationary and in neutral.

·
Registered
04 MGTF Sunstorm 135. VW Arteon RLine 2.0 TSi. Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SE
158 Posts
hi I've recently purchased a 2004 TF 135 in trophy blue, i has a strange sound that i just cant put my finger on.

whilst driving, and sometimes in neutral with the engine running, there is what i can best describe as a single metallic ping, say 30 - 45 seconds in between. it sounds like its coming from the engine bay over my left shoulder, however past experience has taught me that noises in cars can travel

has anyone had this themselves?

thanks in advance
I too have a similar noise to the one you describe but can’t help you locate it!
Could it be a slight pop from the exhaust (unburnt fuel)?

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Does it occur when the engine is warming up, cooling down or all the time. My initial thoughts were something expanding or contracting - the sort of thing you can occasionally hear from cars after you turn them off and then wait for a few minutes nearby. You can sometimes hear all kinds of weird noises then lol

The exhaust tips perhaps?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi there IanMc, yes exactly this. my initial thought was maybe the cat, however laets say on a 20 mile run up the motorway it will still do it, however more infrequent, say once every 3 - 4 minutes

it is stange

·
Registered
04 MGTF Sunstorm 135. VW Arteon RLine 2.0 TSi. Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SE
158 Posts
hi all, so i had some spare time yesterday to look at this further, its not as originally thought coming from the rear, however more from the front left hand side

still strange however
Worth looking at your bushes to see if any have or are soon to disintegrate?

·
Registered
mg_tf
649 Posts
Since the location has now changed, could it be confirmed that the noise ‘…. sometimes in neutral with the engine running..’ is indeed correct. i.e. the noise is present when the car is stationary. If so, even more odd to be coming from the front.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
What about popping into your local tyre and exhaust place and asking if they will take a look around with it up on a lift?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts