MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I purchased a zt120+ earlier this week. Everything is great with the car apart from a couple of small things, one being a rear brake disc that seems to be squeeking very slightly under light braking at low speeds. The other which is slightly more strange, when I start the car up, theres a gurgling sound coming from the dashboard. Cant really explain any further than that, apart from it only seems to occur from cold starting. The climate control is working fine, the coolant levels are fine, and it stays just under the middle tempreture marker when warmed up fully.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How loud is the gurgling sound Phil? Does it sound like escaping air, or fluid?

Sounds like fluid. Its not really loud, but its definatly audible once the engines started up.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
How long does the sound go on for ??

Do you have the Air Con on or off when you start the Car ??

Have you got a CD player in the glove Box ??

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long does the sound go on for ??

Do you have the Air Con on or off when you start the Car ??

Have you got a CD player in the glove Box ??

Goes on for about 10 seconds maximum. Climate control switched off when I start the car, and cd changer in the boot so nothing in the glove box.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gonna take a shot and say airlock in heater matrix mate

Thought about all this, but theres still plenty of heat coming through the heaters when the heats turned on, so pretty sure the coolant is getting round ok.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
You may already have had a look but if you do a search on'dash gurgling' on this forum you get a number of theories for the noise.

My own view is that if it ALWAYS happens and goes on for the same length of time on every occasion its probably something in the electrics starting up.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may already have had a look but if you do a search on'dash gurgling' on this forum you get a number of theories for the noise.

My own view is that if it ALWAYS happens and goes on for the same length of time on every occasion its probably something in the electrics starting up.
Thanks, I didnt use the search facility as I didnt think it would be a common problem. Seems it is common though. Thanks!

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=128730&highlight=dash+gurgling

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Gurgling in the heater matrix is *usually* an indicator of a low coolant level.

You sure it's up to the correct level?

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh well, if so, you'll need to live with it.

Update.... Seems to occur as well without starting the engine, just turning the ignition on is enough to start the gurgling noise. Could this be that a valve is opening and allowing coolant to start moving to balance the pressure?

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah the puzzle seems to be solved. There was a puddle on the drive today after I had been out in the car. Turned out that it was coolant leaking from what looks like the pipe that goes down the middle of the radiator, which is clipped on. Think I must have been lucky and caught it in time, doesnt seem to have done any damage but the coolant tank was about a centimetre off being empty. Looks like its going back to the garage for the repair, once I get in touch with them that is.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All fixed now. They have tightened up the top coolant hose which was apparntly the source of the leak, doesnt seem to be leaking anymore but I will keep a close eye on it.

Also all the front pads were replaced as they were worn down. All the work done under warranty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts