MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my car this morning only to hear a strange beep coming from behind the dash clocks does anyone have any ideas what it could be cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have too noticed this before ,I once turned my key all the way as if to start the car ,nothing happened but a bleep from behind the dash. On the next turn of the key it started without the beep.I have the trafficmate fitted on my car and thought it was that until now.

·
Registered
mg_zr
15 Posts
Its your key fob not syncing properly with the immobiliser.
Its a two-tone kind of sound.
When you hear the beep again press the unlock button on the key fob and it should stop.
This happens now and again on my zr 105 04 reg and is nothing to worry about.
Yes, annoying I know, but it happens.
I read somewhere that it may be a sign that the battery needs replacing in the fob, but im none to sure.
Some one else may be able to shed some light on the matter.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
yes, its the passive immobilisation working out where the fob is. if the battery is low in the fob it doesnt know that it is close to the car and will give a two tone beep to force you to press the lock/unlock button on the fob.

older cars with the 5AS used to do that two tone siren if you opened the car and didnt start the engine straight away (iirc its 15 seconds) you had to press button on the fob before it would spring into life.

·
Registered
276 Posts
older cars with the 5AS used to do that two tone siren if you opened the car and didnt start the engine straight away (iirc its 15 seconds) you had to press button on the fob before it would spring into life.
My 53 plate ZR TD does this sometimes, like you say, when you unlock the car but don't start it straight away. My 98 Coupe did too.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
I had this problem,it locked my immobiliser too. When it happened, I never even thought of locking/unlocking the doors and thought my car was dead! Tried jump starting it and everything and if started a thread in here! haha even enlisted a merlo to jump start. I felt like a right **** when I was told the answer!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts