MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about taking the rear silencer of my car. Thing is, I know it'll be loud, but will it be a good loud?

The idea is the have nothing from the cat back. Just some pipes leading out as tailpipes.

What do people think?

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
No, it'll be stupid loud, it'll be "breach of noise abatment laws" loud.

Not only that you'll drive 5 miles and have to stop and take painkillers to remove your headache.

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it'll be stupid loud, it'll be "breach of noise abatment laws" loud.

Not only that you'll drive 5 miles and have to stop and take painkillers to remove your headache.
I know it'll be daft loud, but I want to know if it will sound good. Or just farty.

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
I know it'll be daft loud, but I want to know if it will sound good. Or just farty.
I must admit, we brought a 306 in the other day where the exhaust had fallen off and I was following behind in the Shogun and I did wonder why I spent £300 on an exhaust system :)

Take the exhaust off and try it on a private track somewhere see if you like it.

Not sure it would pass an MOT though and thus be illegal, but that's a different problem.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Will it not effect your back pressure and fuelling? And neighbours? It will effect your insurance and you will be in breach of many laws.

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will it not effect your back pressure and fuelling? And neighbours? It will effect your insurance and you will be in breach of many laws.
Can't see why the neighbours would mind. I don't sit outside my house revving my car much.

Back pressure may be an issue. Insurance won't be effected as I've already told them I have a modified exhaust.
If I get pulled over for having a loud car, I'll put my old silencer back on.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Can't see why the neighbours would mind. I don't sit outside my house revving my car much.

Back pressure may be an issue. Insurance won't be effected as I've already told them I have a modified exhaust.
If I get pulled over for having a loud car, I'll put my old silencer back on.
There is a difference between having a modified exhaust and an illegal exhaust. Your "system" will not have been type approved or given an e mark. You wouldn't need to rev your engine with a 3 foot pipe coming off each cylinder. Your neighbours will think a gang of Hells Angels is hanging out at your house

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a difference between having a modified exhaust and an illegal exhaust. Your "system" will not have been type approved or given an e mark. You wouldn't need to rev your engine with a 3 foot pipe coming off each cylinder. Your neighbours will think a gang of Hells Angels is hanging out at your house
I lol'd! :lol:
Anyway, I'd have the cat there to help quieten things :err:

As I said, this is just an idea. If I could get it done cheap enough, I'd probably have a go, but I can't.

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
I lol'd! :lol:
Anyway, I'd have the cat there to help quieten things :err:

As I said, this is just an idea. If I could get it done cheap enough, I'd probably have a go, but I can't.
You could stuff a tabby up one of the pipes it'll still be sillyly loud :lol:

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Stiff,

Seriously fella, it's not a good idea. :shake:

Wait till the rolling road day and I'll be able to show you the difference between just Milltek and Milltek with a de-cat.

Just with a de-cat, you are verging on an Anti-Social behaviour offence! :lol:

If after that, you don't think you're deaf enough, then maybe consider it. :lol:

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stiff,

Seriously fella, it's not a good idea. :shake:

Wait till the rolling road day and I'll be able to show you the difference between just Milltek and Milltek with a de-cat.

Just with a de-cat, you are verging on an Anti-Social behaviour offence! :lol:

If after that, you don't think you're deaf enough, then maybe consider it. :lol:
I think I'd go with the milltek anyway. Just as I like the sound.

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
I ran my car with cat/exhaust off for about 3 seconds and I thought the world was about to end. YOur best bet would be to poke a hole in the exhaust would it not? Then you have an exhaust, have loudness but not too loud, and in the right place shouldnt affect back pressure.

Alternativley just stop it and go and squash some mangoes

·
Registered
417 Posts
Cars with no silencers sound like tractors on acid :chav:

Not too good!!!

What I am eventually planning on on my MPi is to alter the trophy exhaust i bought and increase the size of the holes within it to give a sportier sound. To be honest it would probably be easier just to buy a miltek etc but it wouldn't be half as much fun! :_poke:

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
What I am eventually planning on on my MPi is to alter the trophy exhaust i bought and increase the size of the holes within it to give a sportier sound. To be honest it would probably be easier just to buy a miltek etc but it wouldn't be half as much fun! :_poke:
Have you got it on yet Rob, how did you get on with the cat nuts. Unsure whether to keep my old Trophy exhaust, half of me says keep it to go back on if needed, the other says ditch it, there's enough to fall over in the garage already.
Guess its you'rs as a second one to play with if you want to come round and pick it up. Or anyone else for that matter.

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
I must admit, we brought a 306 in the other day where the exhaust had fallen off and I was following behind in the Shogun and I did wonder why I spent £300 on an exhaust system :)

my exhasut fell off my first car a 1L fiesta.... its sounded like a hot rod.. so cool, absolutely everyone turned around when i drove down a street, only problem being is when htey realised it was a fiesta, they kinda laughed.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,921 Posts
After having driven behind, infront of, in and occasionally along side a de-cat with a milltek exhaust I would have to say no to having a straight through on the tf. It is bloody loud!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts