MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a 97 420sdi which has given me no problems until now. On my way home from work the red battery light came on. The steering then started to get stiff and the brakes started to fail. I've topped the power steering fluid up but it is still the same. Does anyone know what the problem is? Please excuse my ignorance.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The battery light came on cos alternator is not turning, the steering's stiff cos the pumps not pumping cos its not turning and you are losing brake servo assistance cos on diesels you have a vacuum pump (often on the alternator but not sure where on L series).

Iv recently bought a 420sldi, i believe they're quite reliable. How long have you had yours?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
steeps said:
Hi
I have a 97 420sdi which has given me no problems until now. On my way home from work the red battery light came on. The steering then started to get stiff and the brakes started to fail. I've topped the power steering fluid up but it is still the same. Does anyone know what the problem is? Please excuse my ignorance.
As Kamal says, broken fan belt, could be a tensioner problem so that might need replacing, and if the fan belt has gone, it raises questions as to when the timing belt was last replaced. If you don't know when the timing belt was last done, you need to have it replaced as soon as possible.

When your fan belt breaks, it will stop your power steering and alternator from working, when your timing belt breaks, it will destroy your engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. It was the tensioner

Many thanks to everyone. It turned out to be the belt tensioner. Had it done in a garage (new tensioner and belt £188). I feared it was something worse. Has anyone an idea on how much it would cost to replace the cam belt as I presume that is due to. Once again thanks to everyone for their quick replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts