MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The throttle on my TF is a bit heavy and seems to move in lumps making low speed a bit jerky. After reading various threads on here, and other sites, it would appear to be a common issue so, lubricated the cable with a silicon lubricant and it made it worse, lubricated with engine oil and it made it a bit better but still not as good as I would like.
There are two return springs on the throttle body, one inside the other, and by disconnecting the outer one the throttle action was massively improved. My concern is that two springs were fitted for a reason, as a failsafe in the event of one spring breaking perhaps ?
What is the general opinion on leaving just the one spring working ?
Would you consider it unsafe ?

·
Registered
mg_tf
316 Posts
Hello,
Could you let us know how you lubricated your cable.
I had similar (less severe?) issues with mine, and bought a motor cycle cable oiler which clamps over the outer cable and has a hole in the rubber to allow insertion of the small plastic tube which attaches to spray lubricants.
I disconnected my cable at the engine end, and suspended the cable above its normal height off a garage beam, fitted the cable oiler, and first injected release oil over a couple of days. This was followed with a couple of days of silicone chain lub. (I think it was I used). I placed some kitchen roll around the accelerator pedal end so I could tell when the fluid had come through.
Apologies if this is what you did.
Pedal is now as smooth as would expect it to be.
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had similar problems about 18mths ago and, I know, it irritatingly spoils the fun!
I tried everything here; I gathered then that the cable is originally 'ptfe'd' + that adding oil might gum it up further but tried anyway. I suspected springs too, checked the tb + sensor and and reinstalled the cable with better curves etc etc
I finally bit the bullet in frustration and bought an expensive new one - which worked perfectly.
I came to the conclusion that some outer inner/outer cable combinations won't work with, or prematurely 'wear' or kink each other and it's also best to widen the curves as much as poss. I slightly re-routed mine in the driver's door area and where it sweeps around where it enters the engine bay to make the curves 'biggest' + used cable ties in different areas than 'standard'
I justified the expense by promising myself that I'd return the new cable unless it was perfect, like my previous TF. I don't like being beaten (and I like to know why) but this one was a killer...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Austin 2297
Disconnected cable engine end put a small funnel over the cable and sealed with self amalgamating tape, filled with oil and waited for it to appear at the pedal end.
As said, removing the one spring made a world of difference but, not sure if it's safe.
Maybe I will end up with a new cable

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Purchased a new cable and will fit it tomorrow all things being equal.
Fingers crossed it makes a difference 🙏

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fitted new throttle cable today, what a difference, smooth as silk now.
Lesson learned, don't waste time lubricating the old one ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts